1. To the Ground

Quote/lyric: I can't escape this hell. So many times I've tried. But there's still rage inside~Three Days Grace~Animal I Have Become

Dakota Kane lay on her bed in her concrete cell in the solitary unit. The silence was deafening, it seemed to ring in her ears making her mind spin. She closed her eyes, trying to block out the familiar walls closing in on her. Life in Lockup wasn't easy. Dakota spent most of her time pounding her fists into the walls, scribbling angry words on the floor and walls and generally hating the world.

Her father would come to visit sometimes. But all his visits consisted of where him sitting quietly on her bed trying to make conversation as Dakota blatantly ignored him. She still hadn't forgiven her father, she doubted that she ever would. Because, in Dakota's mind, what her father, Marcus Kane, had done was unforgivable. He was no longer her father, not after what he did.

She heard her door creak open and a cold voice say, "Prisoner 284, face the wall."

Dakota stood and faced the wall, her long loose curls swinging side to side as she did so. "What's going on?" She asked hardly, trying to keep her voice from shaking.

"Quiet," one of the guards snapped.

Dakota's heart began to race. "But I don't turn eighteen for two more weeks." Every prisoner is executed once they turn eighteen.

"I said be quiet," the guard snapped. "Hold out your arm."

Dakota turned around curiously, holding her arm close to her body. The guard opened a box to reveal a type of metal wrist band. "Give me your arm."

"No way!" Snapped Dakota, crossing her arms protectively. There was no way she was going to let them snap that cuff to her.

She backed away until her back hit the cold concrete wall of the room. Forcefully the guard ripped her arm free and snapped on the band. She felt the needles sink deep into her skin and winced. She had no idea why they put this on her if she was being executed. The guard pulled her along until she was standing outside of the door. She hadn't been out of that room for a long time and it was strange to see the high ceilings and many floors of the Skybox. What she saw next made her blood boil. Her father was waiting for her.

"What are you doing?" Dakota yelled over the racket. "You can't execute me! I'm not eighteen yet!"

"You're not being floated, Dakota," her father said. His voice was urgent. "They're sending the hundred of you to the ground."

"What?" Dakota yelled. "Are you crazy? They're sending us down their to die!"

"Dakota calm down!"

"No!" She screamed, reaching for her wristband trying to pull it off. The guards where on her in a second, shooting her with something that would put her to sleep.

"Dakota, you're going to earth," her father said. The last thing she saw or heard was her father saying, "Good luck."

When Dakota woke she was strapped in a seat next to an Asian boy with shaggy hair. She groaned, feeling the affects of the injection wearing off.

"Hey, you alright?" Asked the boy sitting next to her.

"Just peachy," Dakota said grudgingly.

"Spicy. I like it," said the boy with a smile. "I'm Monty. Monty Green." He outstretched his hand and Dakota took it.

"I'm Dakota."

"Dakota...?" He asked.

"Dakota Kane."

"Like Marcus-"

Dakota cut him off. "Sadly yes."

He was quiet for a moment, than asked, "What where you in for?"