6. The Killing

Quote/lyric: Oh, Lord, Heaven knows we belong way down below~The Pretty Reckless~Heaven Knows

The drop ship was empty when Dakota woke up, but she could hear yelling from outside. She swung her feet over the edge of the stretcher and stood. She swayed for a moment and then regained her balance. There was a shriek and Dakota ran out of the drop ship. There was a huge crowd outside the wall and someone was getting the crap beaten out of them by a group of boys.

"Bel!" Dakota yelled as she ran towards him. He didn't turn. "Bellamy!" He turned when she reached out and pulled on his arm. "What's going on?"

"Murphy killed Wells," he said. Then he really seemed to notice her. "What are you doing out here? You need to get back in the drop ship."

The boys had a rope around the boy, who Dakota could see was Murphy, and we're pulling him upwards. They put a box under his feet and they were about to kick it away when they stopped. "Bellamy should do it!" One of them yelled. Then they all started chanting. "Bellamy! Bellamy!"

He took a step forward but Dakota put her hands in his chest to keep him back. "Bel, don't do this," she pleaded. "This isn't you. Don't do this."

"Get out of my way, Kota." He pushed her aside and made his way to Murphy.

"Bellamy don't!" Dakota yelled. He ignored her.

"You're really going to do this?" Spat Murphy angrily. "You know I didn't do it."

"I'm just giving the people what they want," said Bellamy.

"No! Bellamy don't!" Screamed Dakota. But it was too late. Bellamy had kicked the box out from under Murphy and the rope was strangling his neck.

"Stop it!" Someone screamed. "Murphy didn't kill Wells!" They all turned to look at a girl who was about thirteen. Dakota remembered her name was Charlotte. "I did!"

There was frantic screaming as Clarke cut Murphy down. They all stood shocked for a moment until Murphy yelled from the ground, "We should be killing her!"

"No!" Said Clarke as she stepped in front of Charlotte. "We're not going to kill a little girl!"

There were shouts of protest and Dakota grabbed her hand. "Come on!" She said to Clarke and Bellamy as she dragged Charlotte into a tent.

"Bring out the girl, Bellamy!" Murphy yelled.

"Pleas don't let them hurt me!" Squealed Charlotte, hiding behind Bellamy.

"Charlotte, why did you do this?" Asked Bellamy.

"I was just trying to slay my demons," cried Charlotte. "Like you said."

"You told her to do this?" Clarke screeched at Bellamy.

"No I didn't. She misunderstood."

Finn entered the tent. "They want to kill her," he said.

"You've got to get her out of here," said Dakota. She turned to Clarke and Finn. "Take her and run. We can hold them back."

"No way!" Protested Bellamy. "You can't fight right now."

"Bel, it's the only chance we have."

Murphy reached into the tent and grabbed Dakota around the waist and pulled her outside. she just had enough time to see Clarke and Finn leave with Charlotte. Bellamy raced out after Dakota only to have someone beat him over the head. He fell to the ground and Murphy did the same to Dakota. She lay in the ground, her vision blurry. "She's not here!" Screamed Murphy furiously. He lead his group off into the trees and Dakota shook Bellamy awake.

"We have to find them."

Dakota and Bellamy searched for hours, but found no one. Dakota felt awkward and slightly embarrassed with Bellamy. She vaguely remembered begging him to stay with her when she was hurt. She wasn't sure what to say to him. Then they heard a voice scream, "Murphy! I'm over here Murphy!" It was Charlotte.

They raced towards her and Bellamy clamped a hand over her mouth. "What are you doing?"

But Charlotte continued to scream. Dakota could see the light of Murphy and his mob's torches getting closer. She pulled them off into a clearing but Murphy had already spotted them. Clarke burst through the trees after Murphy and they all stared at each other.

"Give her up, Bellamy" said Murphy.

Bellamy stepped in front of Charlotte protectively.

"Oh, so when it was me it was fine. But you won't let us have her?" Murphy was furious.

"We can't decide who lives and dies down here," said Dakota.

Murphy made a quick move towards Dakota, his knife pointing at her belly, his hand holding her throat. The heels of Dakota's boots pushed dangerously off the edge of the cliff.

"Here's an idea," said Murphy. Bellamy moved towards him but he pushed Dakota further back, inches closer to her death. "You," Murphy gestured to Charlotte. "Come with me and I won't kill her." Murphy pushed her slightly and Dakota gasped in fear.

"Let me go Murphy," she said through her teeth.

"You shut up!" Seethed Murphy. Dakota could feel the point of his knife break the skin on her stomach.

"Okay," said Charlotte, stepping forward.

"Charlotte, don't do it!" Said Dakota.

"Shut up!" Snapped Murphy. Bellamy held Charlotte back.

"No one else can die," said Charlotte, her voice hopeless. "Not after what I did." No one knew what she was going to do next. She turned and threw herself over the edge of the cliff. Murphy let go of Dakota in shock and she scrambled over to Bellamy, who was looking down at the tiny form of Charlotte's body.

It was total chaos. Everyone was screaming and Bellamy turned to Murphy and tackled him. He punched him over and over until Murphy was a heap of blood and tears. Dakota grabbed his fist and pulled him away.

"You can't kill him," she said.

"Why not? What should we do with him?"

"Banish him." Bellamy stood and he and Dakota looked down at Murphy.

"Go," said Bellamy. "And if I ever see you back in camp I will kill you."