16. There Will Be Blood

Quote/lyric: smoke on the water, a fire in the sky~Smoke on the Water-The Deep Purple

Dakota stormed out of the drop ship and into her tent, threw herself into her bed, and screamed into her pillow. She was furious. How could Bellamy have changed his mind to side with Clarke so quickly? There was a scream from outside and Dakota sprung into action. Being on the ground for several weeks had made this her first instinct. She grabbed her knife (as her gun was still on the floor of the drop ship where she had thrown it in anger) and ran outside. What she saw set her teeth on edge. Conner and several others were doubled over, blood spewing from their eyes, ears, nose, and mouth while Clarke-whose eyes were also bleeding-marched into the drop ship.

"No one touch us!" Clarke commanded. Someone asked why and Clarke yelled back, "Because we're the ones that brought Murphy in!"

Dakota followed her into the drop ship to find Murphy in a heap on the floor coughing up blood.

"Murphy," Clarke said. "How did you escape?"

Murphy shook the rest of the blood from his mouth and said, "They forgot to lock my cage. There was no one there so I ran."

"He didn't escape they let him go," said Dakota, handing a rag to Clarke so she could wipe her eyes. "Bellamy, stay back!" Dakota said as Bellamy stormed through the door.

Bellamy looked murderous. "What the hell did he do to you?" He didn't wait for an answer and moved towards Murphy. "I'm going to kill him!" Dakota pushed forcefully on his chest to get him to back away. "What the hell is this?"

"Biological warfare," said Clarke. "This is the grounders retaliating."

"This is your revenge?" Bellamy snarled. "When are the grounders coming?"

Murphy just shook his head.

"Think Murphy," Clarke instructed. "Did you see or hear anything useful?"

"They're vicious and cruel," Murphy whimpered.

"You want to see viscous?" Bellamy yelled.

Dakota just pushed harder on his chest while Clarke protested and told him to shut up. Just then Finn came bursting through the door.

"You guys need to back away!" Clarke said. "Whatever this is it spreads through contact."

"What happened?" Finn asked in a panic. "I heard you were sick. Clarke..."

Dakota scoffed. "Oh, and we're the lovebirds?"

Clarke was about to protest when Murphy piped up with, "So, you two finally got together?" He smirked.

"Shut up, Murphy!" Bellamy and Dakota yelled together. This was so not the time.

"Focus!" Said Clarke. "We need to find out what this is."

One of the boys on the corner began to to seize and spit blood onto the floor. Dakota ran to him as the others protested. She lifted his head up off the floor and took his pulse but there was nothing to feel. "He's dead," she said in a shaky voice.

Clarke made Finn rinse his hands with alcohol after he touched her. "What do we do?"

"Quarantine," said Clarke. "Round up everyone that had contact with Murphy and bring them in here."