2. All Chaos, No Rules

Quote/lyric: What we like to think of ourselves and what we really are rarely have much in common.~Stephen King/The Drawing of the Three

"We need to go to Mount Weather." Dakota looked up from the knife she was fashioning from a hunk of metal off the drop ship.

"No way," Dakota answered and everyone around her agreed. "There's a radiation soaked forest between us and that mountain."

"It's the only food we have," the girl, Dakota recognized her as Clarke Griffin, protested, her intense blue eyes locked on Dakota.

"Why don't you go, Clarke?" Dakota and Clarke turned to look at whoever was talking.

"And what are you going to do, Bellamy?" Clarke shot back at the guard who had run into Dakota.

"Let the privileged do the work for once," said Bellamy. "We'll hang here."

"Yeah, totally privileged being locked in a cell for two years," Dakota snapped, stepping next to Clarke.

Bellamy looked her over again. "You're Marcus Kane's daughter." It wasn't a question. "I guess princesses stay together," he scoffed.

This infuriated Dakota. Princess? He thought she was privileged? He had no idea what she had gone through; being on lockdown because Marcus didn't want people to know she was his, being beaten by guards when she retaliated, watching her mother get floated. And Bellamy's sneering tone only made her angrier. "If you think being Marcus Kane's daughter makes me privileged you're dumber than you look!"

"Please," said Bellamy, his voice rising in anger. "The only hard thing you've ever experienced was lockup."

"So being unwanted by my father, beaten by his guards, watching my mother get floated, and two years without leaving a cell was easy?"

"You where locked up for a reason. You killed a guard. And your mother was a traitor. What a dumb bitch for going public with treason," Bellamy sneered.

Dakota had never been so angry in her life. "Don't you dare talk about my mother like that!" She had her knife under Bellamy's chin in an instant.

"Better put that away before you hurt yourself, little girl," said Bellamy quietly. But Dakota could see a flash of fear in his eyes.

"I'm not the one in danger of getting hurt. You don't scare me."

Bellamy moved so his face was inches from Dakota, his chin almost touching the point of the blade, and said with a voice so angry it shook, "I should."

"Hey quit it you two." It was Clarke who pulled them away from each other. "Fighting won't get us anywhere."

"I think it'll get us somewhere," Dakota said, taking a step towards Bellamy who sneered.

"Guys, focus," said Clarke, taking control of the conversation. "We need to get to Mount Weather. We won't survive without those supplies."

"I'm not going," said Dakota, turning to walk away. "I actually want to live."

Monty, Jasper, Finn, and Octavia ended up going with Clarke while the others stayed back. Everyone was overcome with excitement at the idea of being free, but Dakota was worried. It looked like Bellamy was rising as the leader and she had already made an enemy out of him. He made sure she got one of the smallest tents and when she went for a sleeping bag and blanket he handed her a sheet that was frayed and shrunken.

"Hey," said Dakota, running after him. "Could I maybe get something, you know, normal size?"

"No," said Bellamy, not turning to look at her.

"What is your problem?" Dakota snapped, pulling his arm so he was facing her.

"You," said Bellamy shortly. "You're a pain. There's no way you can make it down here and everybody needs to work."

"Are you serious?" Dakota seethed. "I've handled assholes like you my whole life and you think I won't make it down here? You're not as tough as you think you are and you sure as hell aren't in charge!"

Bellamy's mood didn't improve all day. Dakota watched as he pushed everyone around to start building a wall and gathering food. He stalked around camp shouting out things like, "Get to work!" and "Where are Clarke and the others?"

He eventually got so angry he started beating the hell out of another boy. "What are you doing?" cried Dakota who had been putting up her tent. "Stop it!" She caught his fist in her small hand as he brought it back for another punch. He turned and looked at her. "Don't do this," Dakota said, her voice softening. "It's not worth it."

Bellamy brought his fist down and stood up. "Go," he snapped at the boy who scuttled away in fear. Bellamy looked at her for a moment, his expression was slightly annoyed but slightly admiring, as if he couldn't believe she had stopped him.

"Why did you do that?" Dakota asked. "You can't just beat the crap out of people because you feel like it."

"I can do whatever the hell I want," said Bellamy. "We can do whatever the hell we want." He paused. "What's your name anyway?"

Dakota sat down and continued working in her knife. "Oh, so the rebel king cares about his subjects?" she said sarcastically.

Bellamy sat next her. "No, but you seem to pop up wherever I go so I should at least know what to call you."

"Besides little girl?" Dakota kept her eyes on her blade and Bellamy chuckled. "I'm not little. I'm seventeen."

"You're not that old," said Bellamy. Dakota shifted her eyes to sneak a glance at him and saw he was smirking.

"And how old are you?"

"Twenty one," he answered.

"Like it even matters," Dakota mumbled.

"I guess age doesn't really matter down here," Bellamy agreed. There was a small silence. "You still haven't told me you're name."

"I thought you knew I was Kane's daughter."

"I do. That doesn't mean I know your first name."

"It's Dakota," she said. She scraped at her knife.

"Be careful with that," said Bellamy, standing up. "I wouldn't want you to hurt yourself."

Dakota watched him walk away. Man he's attractive she thought. His large dark eyes made her heart flutter when he looked at her. She snapped out of that thought. He was still a self absorbed, arrogant jerk, and Dakota knew that would never change.

The sun was beginning to set when Monty, Clarke, Finn and Octavia came back into camp. Monty's face was terrified and pained.

"What happened?" Dakota asked him. "Where's Jasper?" She hadn't spoken to Monty since they where on the drop ship and she felt like she should show that she was still interested in his friendship.

"He's gone," said Monty, his voice panicked. "He was stabbed by a grounder and we can't find him."

"By a what?" Dakota asked confused.

"There are other people out there, Dakota," said Monty intensely. "Other survivors."

"What are we going to do about Jasper?"

"A group of us are going out to look for him in the morning."

"I'll go," Dakota said immediately. "We'll find him."