4. Making Allies

Quote of the chapter: I'm a little bit restless, we're both alone tonight/Forget the day you've had, forget the loves you've lived. Oh, you and I are experts at pretending to be kids~Emily Kinney~Kids

Bellamy didn't seem to notice her, or he didn't care that she was there, and she stared as he pulled his shirt over his head. It was when he unbuttoned his pants that Dakota came to her senses.

"Excuse me?" She said. Bellamy didn't turn, he just pulled his pants and boots off and waded into the water in his boxers. "Hello?" Dakota's face was turning red. "What are you doing?"

"Washing off," said Bellamy, making his way under the waterfall. "You know, Kota, you're not as smart as you look."

"No," she said forcefully. "I'm asking why you're doing that now. You do realize I'm right here?"

"Yes I do," said Bellamy, shaking water off his hair. Dakota stared at him. "Enjoying the show?" He asked. Dakota blushed scarlet. "You're face is turning red." He seemed to find her embarrassment amusing.

"I was here first," she protested.

"So?" Asked Bellamy. "And what are you doing here?"

"Washing off," said Dakota in a mocking voice. "You know, Bel, you're not as smart as you look." Her anger made Bellamy laugh and he splashed a wave of water at her. Dakota spluttered in fury and for the first time since he'd been there with her he really looked at her. Dakota's heart pounded as his eyes watched her standing there in her underwear and shirt which was now soaking. Dakota waded into the water and splashed him back but all that made him do was laugh more. She marched over to him and pushed his head under the water. She held him for a few seconds and then released him. He gasped when he came back up to the surface and then continued laughing.

"What is so funny?" Dakota exploded.

"You're just so....angry." Said Bellamy between fits of laughter.

"And that's funny how?" Dakota was seething.

"You just..." Bellamy's laughter died down. "You need to loosen up."

"Loosen up?" Dakota asked in disbelieve. "We're in a brand new world with about fifteen thousand different things that could kill us in a million different ways, Jasper got stabbed and strung up by something, I almost got to play chew toy for some mutant, I've been on edge my entire life, you are seriously pissing me off, and you want me to 'loosen up?'"

"Look, Kota," said Bellamy, sitting on the ground, the water hitting him just above his belly button. "No one down here is going to hurt you. At least not the hundred of us." He paused. "What happened to you anyway?"

Dakota sat and began scrubbing mud off of her shoulders. She was here so she might as well wash off. And Bellamy obviously wasn't going anywhere. "Well it's pretty simple," she said. "I was born and then everyone around me started lying and scheming."

Bellamy was silent for a moment. "What'd you do?"

Dakota knew what he was asking. What did she get arrested for. "I don't want to talk about it."

Bellamy moved closer to her in the water until he was right in front of her. "I won't tell anyone." His voice was quiet, calming. And somewhere in his words Dakota could tell he meant it.

"They where about to float my mom," she explained as she scrubbed at the blood caked on her fingernails. "I killed a guard." Bellamy was silent. "I didn't mean to. I panicked." Dakota's voice was almost a whisper and Bellamy had to lean in to hear her. "Kane didn't want me there and had his guards try to take me out. I didn't know what to do, so I fought. One of them fell and hit his head. It was my fault he died."