3. Facing the Enemy

Quote/lyric: I would rather die a meaningful death than live a meaningless life.~Corazon Aquino

The first night on the ground was difficult. Everyone was on edge because of the grounders. Dakota tossed and turned all night, feeling like she was suffocating in her tiny tent. She made a mental note to beat the hell out of Bellamy for a bigger one. She ended up crawling out and laying by the fire, staring up at the stars. Dakota had never seen anything more beautiful. Earth was amazing.

She was woken up the next morning by someone stepping on her fingers. "Hey, watch it!" She snapped sitting up quickly.

A sneering face looked down at her and she recognized one of Bellamy's minions, Murphy. "Get up," he said grabbing at her. She forcefully pulled away. "There's work to do!"

Dakota was having none of this. She swept her arm at Murphy and hit him in the back of his calves right below his knees. Dakota may have been small but she was strong. Murphy's legs fell out from under him and he landed on his back, hitting the ground with a thump. Dakota burst out laughing as Murphy spluttered. He stood, his face red with rage, and pulled Dakota up with him. "You little bitch!" Murphy yelled giving Dakota a hard push.

Dakota pushed him back. "Get away from me asshole." She was angry. "Go screw yourself."

Murphy's fist hit her face hard and she stuttered backwards. He kept coming and Dakota threw a hard punch into his stomach. He doubled over for a second, but not long enough for Dakota to get away. He punched her across the face again and then grabbed her collar and pulled her close to his face.

Murphy had punched her so hard he had broken skin on her cheek and Dakota could feel the blood drip down her face. She was scared but she was also angry.

"Murphy what are you doing?" Someone yelled. Murphy turned to look at Bellamy striding out of the drop ship. Dakota tried to ignore the fact that he was shirtless.

"Little brat tripped me and then punched me in the stomach," said Murphy, giving Dakota a small shake.

"Oh bite me you scumbag!" Dakota snapped. It would have been more intimidating if she hadn't been staring up at him like a small child. Apparently it was enough to light Murphy's fuse because he lifted her inches off the ground so they where face to face.

"Hey," Bellamy intervened. "Let her go Murphy." He pried Murphy's grip off of Dakota and she dropped back to her normal level.

"Only a complete low life hits a girl." Bellamy's voice was like venom. "Get out of here and make yourself useful."

Murphy ran off and when he was out of earshot Dakota turned on Bellamy.

"What did you do that for?" She snapped.

Bellamy looked at her like she was the stupidest person he'd ever spoken to. "Murphy was beating the crap out of you."

"I was fine," Dakota protested. "I was holding my own."

"Murphy was about to kill you," Bellamy shot back. He reached down and wiped a smear of blood off of her face. "You're bleeding."

"No shit, Sherlock," said Dakota, wiping away the blood.

Bellamy sighed as if he was fed up with Dakota's fiery attitude. "You're welcome," he said.

"I don't need your help," Dakota snapped. "I can take care of myself. I have been my whole life."

Bellamy gave her a quizzical look as if to ask how? Dakota scowled and walked away. That was a conversationshe was never going to have with him, or anyone for that matter.