Chapter 18

Kaylin peeped around the corner of Mrs. Barkley's classroom and instantly spotted Tyler seated in his usual desk; bent over a textbook and some papers. By himself. Without second thought, she strutted into the classroom and took the closest seat next to him. "Hey," she cheerfully beamed turning in her seat to face him.

"What's up," he greeted without looking up from his work. And he held his hand out in Kaylin's direction expecting a dap.

But she just looked down at it, crossed her legs, and said, "I don't do those anymore."

He looked up at her with a grin, then eyed her from the top of the French braid bangs she had around her head, to the silver, sparkly flats she had on her feet. "Oh, you fancy now?"

"Well, you know," she said, playfully tossing her hair behind her shoulder. "You guys did really good last night."

"We know," he grinned. Kaylin did the same and rolled her eyes. They didn't do as great as she had mentioned. They only won by ten points. It'll probably be the only game they win all season. "You guys did too."

"You weren't even there!"

"I heard you guys did good," he corrected with emphasis.

"Thanks." It was quiet for a minute, and Kaylin took this opportunity to take a really good look at Tyler. Not just look at him, but to really look at him; to study his features and everything else that made him as attractive as he was. It's not like she wanted to, but she couldn't help it. The boy was perfection. He had beautiful, dark brown hair. But it was so dark that you could only tell it was brown in the light. And he had a pair of coconut brown eyes to match. He had the softest looking lips she's ever seen. That was probably due to his Carmex obsession, which was due to his constant fear of having chapped lips.  But the softness of them made them almost kissable. No. They were kissable.

And Kaylin didn't realize she was staring at them until they formed into a smile and parted the words, "Why are you staring at me like that?"

She immediately snapped out of her gaze and back into reality. "I wasn't staring at you," she quickly denied. He had his eyes in his textbook the whole time, so she hoped that he'd just think his peripheral vision deceived him.

But he didn't. "Yes you were."

"Whatever," she said in a desperate attempt to change the subject. "Tell me what Daniel told you the kitchen Saturday."

"You gotta promise not to tell anybody," he said, strictly looking at Kaylin.

"I won't."

"Not your mom, your dad, Anthony, nobody!"

"Okay! Tell me,"

He said it all casually like it was no big deal. "Tiara's pregnant."

"What?!" Kaylin shouted before he could even get the word 'pregnant' out. Mrs. Barkley shot a glare over in their direction, causing Kaylin to quickly apologize. "Are you serious?" she asked Tyler in a whisper.

"Dead."

"Tiara?" Kaylin asked in disbelief. "My sister Tiara?! The goody two shoes Tiara?!"

Tyler nodded his head.

"I don't believe that," she said shaking her head. "I can't believe it." Tyler rose his eyebrows as if to say 'okay'. She stayed quiet for a minute, trying to let the fresh news thoroughly process in her head. "Are you sure we're talking about the same Tiara?"

"If it makes you feel any better, he told me they only did it once."

"No, that does not make me feel any better!" she nearly shouted. "She's still pregnant!"