Chapter 10

Kaylin sat on her bed, back against the headboard, legs outstretched; one over the other, listening to Ed Sheeran's angelic voice sing through the speakers of her cell phone. 

Her eyes stared ahead at the big, wooden dresser in front of her. It had a rectangular shaped mirror that lie horizontally on it, and she stared at her reflection for awhile before closing her eyes and letting her head fall against the headboard.

So many things ran through her mind, and she couldn't figure out what she wanted to evaluate first.

Today hadn't been that great of day. She felt- no, she knew her position was in jeopardy. What if Ariyana ends up becoming another point guard? What if Ariyana ends up being a better point guard? What if Coach Meyers ends up falling in love with Ariyana and makes her captain next year? Kaylin had to admit it to herself. She was jealous of the girl and she didn't know how to cope with it. 

She sighed desperately as the intro to 'Thinking Out Loud' rang through through her speakers. And her mind instantly shifted to Nathan. She groaned in despair, remembering that she had given up the opportunity of a lifetime for Tyler. Was he even worth it? Kaylin wasn't sure how to answer that question. After all, he did ditch her for Lauren the other day. But then again, Lauren's his girlfriend, and who was she to come in between their relationship?

"Kaylin!" her mother chimed from downstairs, abruptly interrupting her thoughts. 

She had barely heard her, but she paused her music just in case. Her mother's voice rang through the house once again, and Kaylin hopped off of her bed to see what she wanted.

"Where do you plan on taking her?" Mrs. Jones asked the shaken boy who stood on the other side of the door. It was chilly and the sun was beginnig to set. Jacob stood at the door wearing a navy blue Hollister hoodie. The bangs of his brown chest nut hair blew in the wind, and his matching brown eyes squinted from the freezing air that whipped past his face. 

"We had plans to go to the library to work on an assignment," Jacob lied. He hoped the way his eyes went straight to the floor and back up again didn't give off any suspicion.

"Kaylin didn't tell me anything about going to the library," Mrs. Jones said, her eyes narrowed in confusion. Jacob had opened his mouth to produce another lie, but the way Mrs. Jones's eyebrows rose as if realizing something, made him close it. "I see what it is," she smirked.

Jacob held a confused expression on his face.

"Are you dating my baby?" she asked.

"Oh, no ma'am! We're just friends," he quickly explained. Her smirk grew bigger, causing Jacob to further deny her claim. "We're just friends," he repeated. "Really."

"Mhm," she said. "If you say so."

The sound of Kaylin finally hitting the first floor of the house made her mother turn her attention towards her daughter. "Jacob's here for you."

Even at the foot of the steps, Kaylin could see that Jacob's face held a sort of sorrow. She instantly knew something was wrong. No type of communication was needed for Kaylin to know that it was time for her to get going. "Let me grab my jacket," she called before sprinting back up the stairs.

Mrs. Jones turned back around to face Jacob, who flashed a small smile.

"So where are you taking her?" she grinned. "Dinner? A movie?"

"To the library."

"Cut the act, Jacob. She won't know you told me."

"Mrs. Jones," he said, placing a hand on her shoulder. "I assure you, if me and your daughter ever dated, you'd be the first to know."