Chapter 9

"Before we start our first practice, I want to congratulate all of you ladies for working your hardest at making this years women's basketball varsirty team," Coach Meyers announced standing on the sideline of the gym. All the girls sat on the first three rows of the bleachers, dressed out and ready to practice. Kaylin looked around and noticed that there were only about fifteen girls on the team out of the thirty that tried out. "Now the other girls that you saw last week that you don't see today, either got moved down to junior varsity, or got cut all together. All of the sophomores were sent back down to JV. Any juniors or seniors that didn't make it got completely cut. I'm sure you all know that.

"Now, I'd like to take this time to introduce the captain for this year," Meyers said, smiling at Kaylin. Everyone on the bleachers next to her looked in her direction as well, some smiling in encouragement, and others frowning in disapproval. Either way, her face started heating up. She didnt like being put on the spot.

Coach Meyers motioned for her to come down from off the bleachers to where she was. And so Kaylin stood up and treaded down from the third row to the floor, as applause and hushed whispers filled her ears.

"Kaylin Jones," Coach Meyers started, placing her hands gently on Kaylin's shoulders, "will be this year's captain. If you have any questions and I'm not around, you ask her. If she doesn't know, she'll find me and I'll let you know. You respect her just as much as you respect me, and I'll make sure she does the same. She has no authority to yell at you, curse at you, or disrespect you in any way. She is only here to encourage and motivate you," she reassured the team. "Is there anything you'd like to say," she asked Kaylin.

"I just wanna say I'm extremely grateful for this position. I was not expecting it all. Thank you, Coach Meyers," she said turning to her coach. "And I will try my utmost hardest to not disappoint you guys as your captain," she smiled briefly, concluding her speech.

"Good deal," Coach Meyers said as the gym erupted in applause. Once the applause settled down, Coach Meyers continued on as before, "We're gonna start with a few warm ups before we start drilling. Alright?" she said clapping her hands together. "Everyone come down from off the bleachers and line up behind Kaylin on the outer part of the gym."

Kaylin walked up to the edge of the gym, facing the wall in front of her as the girls came down from the bleachers and lined up behind her as they were told.

"When I blow my whistle, you'll jog around the gym, in line, at whatever pace your captain chooses to run," Coach Meyers explained, walking up and down the middle of the gym. "If anyone starts walking or falls behind, or if there's at least a gap that could fill two people, I'll add another lap. When I blow the whistle again, you stop. Alright?"

Most of the girls responded in approval, while a few others moaned in desperation. And without another second's delay, Coach Meyers blew the whistle, and the line began to snake along the outer part of the gym.

An hour into practice, while they were proceeding with their drills, Coach Capps, the JV coach, scurried in with a proud grin on her face from the back gym door.

"From the chest, extend your arms," Coach Meyers repeated in five-second intervals as the team stood in a large circle working on their passes.

"Kaylin," the girl across from her in the circle called. She sharply passed the ball to Kaylin, and just as easily Kaylin caught it.

"Sierra," Kaylin called, passing the ball to another girl across from her.

This went on for a few moments more until Coach Meyers heard the JV coach call her name from behind. This caused the ball passing to cease, and everyone looked in the direction of the doorway. Coach Capps made her way to the center of the court, alongside a young looking girl. She had braids in her hair that were tied into a bun at the back of her head. She was about as tall Kaylin, maybe a little taller, and she had on a t-shirt and basketball shorts, which made everyone automatically assume she was a JV basketball player.