Chapter 19

Tiara sat on the floor bent over a toilet in the bathroom of her dorm, throwing up whatever little food the baby would allow her to eat earlier that morning. It was nearing four A.M on a Saturday, almost two weeks since she found out that she was pregnant, and she still didn't know how to tell Daniel what's been eating her alive since the day she had found out.

She violently threw her elbow upon the seat of the toilet, not realizing her unsanitary actions, and rested her head in her hand. She felt sick. Not only because of the baby, but also due to the fact that she had betrayed her boyfriend. And on top of that, wasn't even woman enough to tell him. She felt like she was going to be sick. Instinctively, she propped her hands on the sides of the toilet seat and vomitted violently into the stool. She wasn't sure if this round of naseua was from the baby or her guilt. But after a few more minutes in wallowing in her shame, she finally had the strength to stand up. She wiped her hands against the knees of the pajama pants she had on, realizing  the uncleanliness of her environment, and walked over to the sinks to wash her hands.

With her head down trying to avoid looking into the mirror at her disgraceful face at all costs, she lifted the knob and placed her hands underneath the faucet, letting the warm water run over them. She exhaled before saying out loud the words she had been trying to arrange in her head for the past few weeks. "Daniel, you know I love you but there's something I need to get off my chest." She shook her head in disapproval. Too cliché. She nervously wiped her hands down the sides of her legs, partially to dry them and partially to calm herself down, and headed out the door.

She was on her way to her dorm room when she heard two familiar voices talking lowly from around the corner. She quickly hurried down the hall to validate her assumptions, and her heart nearly stopped after seeing who was walking towards her dorm room. "Guys," she called from down the hall. She didn't want them knocking on her door and waking up her room mate. Daniel and Chris turned around from in front of Tiara's door.

Despite Chris graduating high school and choosing a completely different path other than the college life, he, Tiara, and Daniel remained as close as they always had been. Chris had moved up North and easily scored a job at Microsoft as a software programmer. The company was so impressed with his ability to obtain skills from experience, that they hired him straight out of high school without any type of post secondary education. And he loved every bit of his job.

"Hey!" Daniel greeted as he made his way towards his girlfriend. He had his arms stretched wide and Tiara happily fell into them.

Initially, Tiara had beamed when she saw Daniel's face. But as soon as her eyes drifted over to Chris's, her smile fell, and her eyes fell too. Chris's did as well.

During their little break, Daniel wasn't the only one who had messed around. Tiara did too. And the person who she had messed around with was standing in the background, watching as his two best friends performed an act of "love". A hug where they connected physically, but a hug in which lies, secrets, and guilt stopped them from connecting emotionally. And as she held on to the shoulders of her soon-to-be husband, her eyes drifted upward to meet Chris's once more.

And what neither Chris nor Daniel knew, was that she was looking into the eyes of the man who might be the true father of her baby.