Chapter 26

"Jordan, please!" Kaylin begged as she trailed behind him in the hallway that next morning. "I really wanna go."

"What happened to not wanting to get shot. Or drunk?" he answered without turning around. "No."

"You know how I am, Jay!" she plead. If he had taken one more step, he'd be off the hallway, and Kaylin knew that if she couldn't convince him now, she had absolutely no hope. She grabbed his arm before he took that last step. "Jordan," she softly said. He turned towards her in exasperation and when he did, immediately noticed the hurt in her eyes. "I need this."

Jordan exhaled heavily, "Why?"

"I just," her eyes trailed down to the tile floor. "I just need to get my mind off some things . I just wanna have some fun for the first time in my life."

"Kaylin, you said it yourself. Parties ain't your thing-"

"-But how could I honestly know that if I've never been to one?" She stared hopefully into his eyes. "Please, Jay. Let me come with you."

"Nah, Kaylin," Jordan replied. "You're better than this. Don't let whatever's bothering you make you do stuff you don't usually do." He left these words at her feet as he turned away to head to his third period class. But the words went in one ear and straight out the other. She had already made up her mind. She was going to this party and nothing was going to stop her.
* * *
Tyler sat at their usual circle table, leaned back against the cafeteria wall behind him. Alone. He watched enviously from across the room as Kaylin laughed at what seemed like everything Nathan had said since lunch started. Almost in the same way Tyler had been staring in their direction since lunch started. He put no effort into trying to not make it obvious either. He didn't care anymore. A part of him wanted her to look over and catch him staring. But it was as if not even a single thought of him had crossed her mind. She didn't even attempt to look in his direction.

He had sunken deeper into his seat, as well as his self piteousness when a student with an office pass hooked to one of the belt loops of her khaki pants approached him. She took one last look at the piece of paper she held in her hands, and then back up at Tyler.

"Tyler Lehman?" she asked.

He hadn't noticed her until she spoke, despite her being literally two inches away. He quickly looked up at her.

"Mr. Jackson wants to see you in his office," she stated once she got his attention.

Tyler's eyebrows furrowed in confusion, but he obediently stood up from the table and followed the girl to the office.

He tried to think of everything he had done wrong on the way, but when nothing came to mind, he curiously asked, "Do you know what this is about?"

"No idea," the girl responded as she pulled open the front door of the office.

They entered the office and immediately went their separate ways. Tyler walked deeper into the office until he reached Mr. Jackson's. He stood in front of Mr. Jackson's door and took a deep breath before pulling down the handle and pushing it forward. He stepped into the room and whatever tension that had been enclosed in the room since before he even knew he was possibly in trouble, had immediately hit him like a strong wind.

At his desk sat Mr. Jackson. In the corner of the office behind him stood Coach Smalls. And in two of the three chairs that sat in front of the desk were his parents. All Tyler could really say was, "D*mn".

Every one in the room looked at him distastefully.

"Close the door behind you and have a seat," Mr. Jackson instructed.