Chapter 28

Tyler stood outside of Coach Eaton's office running his finger over the outline of the stitched number on the back of his jersey. And as his finger moved on from the zero to the one, he immediately thought about Kaylin. What would she think about this? Jersey number 01. That was their number. It was something they symbolized and probably one of the biggest parts of their friendship. And the fact that he had to give it up because he wasn't good enough was embarrassing.

Moments later, Coach Eaton popped his head through the doorway of his office. "You wanted to see me?"

"Just came to turn in my jersey," Tyler stated. He handed over the jersey with pursed lips, trying hard not to show a reaction or reveal how much he was aching on the inside.

Coach Eaton exhaled sorrowfully from his nose as he took the jersey from the teenage boy. "Look, if this is about what Coach Smalls said at the last game-,"

"-No," Tyler shook his head. "My dad's making me do this. I need to bring up my grades."

"Are you trying out next year?"

Tyler shrugged in response. "Not sure."

"Well, if your father ever changes his mind, let me know." Immediately after Coach Eaton had said this, the boys from the basketball team jogged into the gym to begin practice. Tyler's head instinctively shot in that direction, and he watched in envy as the boys began to do their daily exercises. Coach Eaton noticed this and added, "There'll always be a spot for you on the team, Lehman."

As much as Tyler wished that statement made him feel better, it didn't. He knew his father would never let him re-join basketball. His decisions were final. Especially when it came down to school vs. his happiness. At least that's how Tyler felt.

* * *

Kaylin listened to Jordan with great scrutiny as he described tonight's plan to her on their way to the buses after school. Jordan couldn't find any other girl that was willing to be apart of it, and maybe there was a reason for that, but he decided to ask Kaylin anyway. Despite the fit Anthony threw over the thought of it.

"...And then after you have a few drinks- you don't really have to drink- we need you to go up to one of Man Man's boys," he paused here in order to brace himself for Kaylin's reaction. "and take him up to his bedroom."

Kaylin's face instantly turned into a scowl. "I'm not having sex with no random nigga!"

"You ain't gotta have sex with him, Kaylin."

"Oh because he's gonna be expecting us to go up there and have a friendly chat. Maybe have small talk about the revolutionary war and discuss America's economical status," she sarcastically mocked.

Jordan gave her a straight face. "Just distract him for a while. If he tries to go further, just say you gotta run to the bathroom or something."

"How will I find your stuff if he's gonna be in the room the whole time?" Kaylin asked, watching the steps below her disappear one by one.

"That's when Anthony's gonna cause a distraction...Make him run out of the room or something."

Kaylin looked over at him suspiciously. "What kind of distraction?"

"Doesn't matter," Jordan pushed the door to the school's lobby open and walked through. Kaylin did the same. "Just get my stuff and come to me. I'll probably be in the living room."

She walked quietly in contemplation and pushed open the doors to exit the lobby.

"So?" Jordan said, now following behind her. "You gonna do it or not?"