Chapter 8

Jordan walked Kaylin to her English class that next week, still extremely hype from the party he had went to the previous Saturday. She didn't really care, but she felt she had to be a good friend and at least act like she did.

"Bruh, everybody was TOO turnt! There was booty everywhere! The music was live! And there were about three different fights!" Jordan exclaimed. "I'm telling you Kaylin, that party was hype as f*ck!"

"I'm sure it was."

"You comin' to the next one?"

" You know I'm not that type of person."

Jordan sucked his teeth. "Whatchu mean, Kay? You hang out with me so evidently you are."

"I'm not though."

"Have you ever even been to a party?"

"Yeah," Kaylin answered in a 'duh' tone.

"I mean like a real party. A house party. Not some Chuck E. Cheese's, birthday party type sh*t."

That statement automatically made her feel lame, and the answer she had in her head made her feel even lamer. "No," she answered.

"Come to the next one with me."

"No."

"Come on," he begged. "It's two weeks from now. You have more than enough time to get all girl'ed up," he said, lightly hitting Kaylin's hair which she had curled this morning. "Hey," he whispered, leaning closer to her ear. "You might even get some dick."

Kaylin gasped as if that was the most vulgar thing she's ever heard him say. And he's said some pretty vulgar things. "I don't want any dick."

Jordan's face frowned in confusion. "Pussy?"

Kaylin rolled her eyes. "Get away from me, Jay."

"Just think about it," Jordan said as they reached her class. "You might actually like it."

"I don't think I'd like getting drunk and possibly even shot."

"Don't drink and don't make anybody mad," he replied easily.

"Bye, Jay," she dismissed herself as she turned into her classroom.

"Aye, let me know. Alright?" she heard him call from some distance behind.

Truth is, Kaylin has never been about that life nor desired to be about it. It wasn't just her good Christian values holding her back, but also her common sense. She knew what happened at those parties and that was just something she'd rather not be a part of.

Kaylin paused in the doorway, taken aback by the new seating arrangement Mrs. Withers had going on. There were two desks everywhere in the classroom facing each other, which told Kaylin that a partner assignment was afoot.

"Your hair looks nice," Nathan greeted as Kaylin placed her binder and textbook on the desk facing his.

"Thank you," she replied and took her seat. "Why are we in pairs?"

"Peer review," Nathan answered, gesturing towards the board behind him.

Kaylin looked up at the white board against the wall and scanned it to find where he'd gotten that information. In the corner of the board in big, red writing read, "Peer Review -Essays" with the date written beside it.

"Essays?" she questioned. "What essays?"

"The ones we wrote like, three weeks ago," he grinned.

"If I still have it," she replied as she opened her binder.

Kaylin and every other student who's ever had Mrs. Withers, was pretty sure that she was the worst teacher ever. She was old, and was barely ever in her right mind. She'd push back assignments until she felt like going over them, while at the same time piling more assignments up on her students' plates. And she didn't put in grades frequently like she was supposed to, but instead waited until the end of the quarter to force feed grades into the system. All the students could do was pray that they were passing. Everyone knew it was well past time for her to retire.