Chapter 6

It was Friday, the final day of try outs, and Tyler was far more than grateful that he had made it this far. He hoped that Lauren was right about Coach Eaton moving up to varsity to train him a little further, and he promised himself that if he made the team, he wouldn't do anything to disappoint him. Kaylin on the other hand had won Coach Meyer's heart her freshmen year with no intentions on doing so. She ended up making the Varsity basketball team that year, which was quite admirable because that hadn't been done on the women's basketball team in many years. This caused her to easily become a team favorite.

That Friday morning, she walked into her third period English class and placed her books on her desk.

"Hey," a soothing voice greeted from behind her before she could sit down.

She turned around to see Nathan Hill smiling ever so gracefully at her, his green eyes glistening in delight.

"Hey," she smiled back. She took her seat in front of him, and Nathan did the same.

Nathan Hill was your typical, everyday, rich white boy. He never spoke about it, but one glance at him and his family could give you an idea of what their bank account looked like: one, one and a bunch of zeroes.

Girls liked him but never tried to pursue him because they were confused by him. They didn't know what he liked. He turned down the popular girl, the A honor roll student, the Indie girl who liked everything that wasn't mainstream, and the punk, edgy girl who had nothing but heavy metal on her playlist. And all those girls were left in utter shock and complete denial when they found out he had thing for Kaylin Jones.

It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out. Everyone knew he liked her. He'd always invite himself to walk her to fourth period. And made sure they were partners whenever they were assigned group projects. Kaylin couldn't lie, she enjoyed the attention. Very much so. But she just simply didn't feel the same way he did. He wasn't her type and she couldn't understand how she was his. They were almost complete opposites. Then again, opposites do attract. There was just something about him that wasn't enough, or something that was too much. And he knew this. They had went to the homecoming dance together, but she surely let him know that they were strictly going as friends. He had asked her out on a date a few weeks ago,  forcing her to let him know that she wasn't into him like that. But even that didn't stop Nathan.

The other girls couldn't understand how someone could turn down a boy as charming and sweet as he. But they came to the conclusion that Kaylin must be a lesbian, also judging by the way she didn't put much effort into her outfits on most days, and left it at that.

"How's basketball tryouts coming?" he had asked as he took his seat in the desk behind Kaylin's.

"Good," she answered, turning in her desk to face him. "Really good. Final cuts are today."

"Well I'm pretty sure you have nothing to worry about."

"I don't know...," Kaylin unsurely spoke. "Tyler told me that I might be captain this year. He was kidding of course," she rolled her eyes when she said this, "but it actually made me start thinking about it. And now I really want it."

"How do you get it?"

"Coach picks."

"You got that position long before you even started thinking about it. Meyers loves you," Nathan assured her.

"I hope so," Kaylin replied.

"When is your first game?"

"I'm not sure, but it's usually always the week after the first week of practice," she paused to think of a better way to say this. "Like, you know how this week's try out week? Next week is practice, and our first game is usually the following Tuesday."