Chapter 16

"Go upstairs and clean your room," Mrs. Jones commanded as she rushed towards the door to answer it. 

Kaylin made sure her mother was out of slapping distance before she sucked her teeth as silently as possible. Nonetheless, she found herself obediently climbing up the stairs and turning into her bedroom. She listened for the sound of voices, trying to guess who was at the door. It only took her a few seconds to conclude that it was Karen.

After moments of trying to make out what the muffled voices were saying, she finally caught on to what Karen said as she traveled to what sounded like the kitchen. "He went to go pick up Lauren but he should be here any second."

Kaylin sucked her teeth at the mentioning of Lauren's name and plopped down on her bed. She had forgotten all about her joining their dinner. After knowingly pulling Tyler away from their yearly tradition, Kaylin was more than convinced that the reason Lauren's been trying to spend more time with him was to get him further away from his friends. There wasn't a doubt in her mind that this wasn't true.

Joyful laughter came from the two women downstairs in three minute intervals as Kaylin proceeded to clean her room. There were t-shirts all over the floor, socks in the corner of the room, and balled up papers on the floor beside the overflowing trash bin that sat at the foot of her desk. She had never been a tidy person, but there was only a certain amount of mess she could take before she had to go on a cleaning rampage. And it hadn't reached that point yet. She never understood why her mother made her clean her room whenever company was coming over anyway. The engagement was being held in the kitchen, not her bedroom.

She had just finished cleaning up the last bit of her mess when the doorbell rang again. She threw the rest of her clean clothing into her closet before walking out of the room to peer around the corner at the door. Karen had answered it, wearing an oven mitt on each hand. Outside on the porch stood a bright faced Lauren and a contented Tyler. When Kaylin noticed Lauren's eyes drifting upward, she quickly backed up so that she was behind the white wall. She wasn't ready, nor was she at all excited to interact with her. 

But it was too late, and Lauren had already spotted her. "Kaylin!" she screeched in excitement.

Kaylin huffed before putting herself back into Lauren's view. She gave a small wave and forced a smile. Here, she was able to take in all of Lauren's atire. She was wearing a turquoise and eggshell colored paisley chiffon dress that stopped mid-thigh. And on her feet were gray, charcoal colored moccasins. She looked nice, and that made Kaylin instantly aware of what she was wearing: a green camisole tank top, and a pair of navy blue basketball shorts. 

"Come down!" Lauren encouraged as she gestured with both of her hands. 

"One sec," she replied before leaving the top of the stairway and turning back into her room. 

"It's so nice to see you again, Lauren," Karen beamed as she closed the door behind them.

"It's nice to see you again too, Ms. Diggins," she replied in the same tone.

Tyler had walked past them as they ended their reunion with a hug, knowing that if Karen knew even the slightest bit of what Lauren did earlier in there relationship, she would have never allowed her to come.

"Would you like to help us out in the kitchen?" Karen asked over her shoulder as she walked towards it.

Lauren placed her purse on the couch, right beside where Tyler had already plopped himself down and made himself at home. He was sunken into the couch with the TV remote in his hand. "I'd love to," Lauren answered to Karen's request.

Before she entered the kitchen, she turned once more and said to Tyler, "Would you like to set the table?"

"Not really," he answered, scanning the blue guide that was on the TV.