Chapter 31

"We gotta move! Fast!" The wheels of an old hospital bed screeched across the floor. "We have a young man entering with multiple stab wounds. Get him to the ER now!" Footsteps of nurses and doctors bounced between the walls of the hospital.

These were just a few of the many sounds Kaylin heard as she sat on the old bench in the hospital's hallway. But as these actions took place before her, she never, not even once, moved a muscle of her body nor changed the placement of her eyes. She sat there. Totally immobile. It was nearing midday and she had been out there since shortly after she heard the status of Anthony's condition. He was sleeping when she left the room. Peacefully, surprisingly. But that was probably due to the dosages of medication he was receiving. She couldn't help but wonder if he knew. And if not, she definitely didn't want to be there when he found out.

Seconds, minutes, hours flew by and Kaylin still had no idea what was going on in that hospital room. She didn't desire to know. She tried not to think. She'd find herself near the verge of depression if she did. After all, this was all her fault...

At least in her head it was.

She stared purposelessly at the bland white wall in front of her in the narrow hallway. This position was held until a voice from a distance caught her attention. "They said C108," the voice said. She looked in the direction those words had come from; her first physical reaction since she'd sat down.

"I'm pretty sure that lady said D108. Be wrong and you'll be laying in one of these d*mn hospital beds."

If she wasn't sure about who the first voice belonged to, she definitely received her confirmation with that second voice.

"Y'all chill. Not the time," a third voice said.

Kaylin stood up from the bench as they made their way around the corner. Jordan, Tyler, and Jacob came into view, and for the first time that night, she smiled. They seemed to be roaming aimlessly at first. But Tyler was the first to spot her and he quickened his pace down the hall.

Kaylin, from a few feet away, began to walk in their direction as well. Once they were in close enough proximity, Tyler hadn't even attempted to hesitant in grabbing her into himself and immediately embracing her.

This caught her by surprise, yet instead of fighting it, she lifted her dead arms from by her side and wrapped her arms around him as well. This action caused Tyler to tighten his grip around Kaylin, making Kaylin instantly feel at peace for the first time since forever. She was in such a comfortable position that the awkwardness she always imagined would be there, wasn't in anyway present. In fact, she was so comfortable that she laid her head against his chest without a thought. And they stood there.

Jordan and Jacob looked at each other knowingly.

Jordan peeked into Anthony's hospital room after finally realizing that it was, in fact, C108. No one was in the room except Tiara, who sat laughing in a chair next to her brother's bedside. Anthony smiled at his sister and turned his head so that he was facing the other side of the room. Jordan expected the atmosphere of the room to be down and depressing, but to his pleasant surprise, it was the exact opposite. He smiled at this fact and with his hands deep into each of his pockets, walked in.

The footsteps from the doorway caused Tiara and Anthony both to look toward the doorway. "Hey, Tiara," Jordan greeted, stopping once he fully entered the room.

"Hey, Jay."

"Aye, T," Anthony said from the hospital bed. "Let me and Jordan talk for a second."

Tiara stood up from the chair without rejection. "Alright," she said as she slid the chair back against the wall where she found it. "I'll be back in a few."