Chapter nine

The afternoon had come, bringing the end of school with it. With the heat fully present, Seoul found itself sweltering, surrounded by blue skies opposed to the dismal morning, a perfect scene for a walk. Children made their way home with their siblings and parents, just like they did every other day. Only a few went to the same luxurious place as the Kim's. Clutching Annie's little hand, Jisoo made her way to the elevator, unbeknownst to the extravagance of the marbled floors around her. The cool air indoors contrasted with the haze outside, welcomed by both the child and mother.

Briefly, Jisoo checked her phone, noting a meeting she had to attend next week. It was the investors. The actress hated the investors.

"Mum," Annie called, breaking Jisoo away from her screen, "What are you getting me for my birthday?"

Cheekily, Jisoo smirked, "That's a secret."

"Noooooooooo," Annie wined, "Tell me."

"Absolutely not," Jisoo sang as they arrived at their floor, "Let's get you a snack."

"...fine."

Mindlessly, Jisoo ushered Annie into the kitchen, turning to chop the little girl up some fruit. As it had been a week, Jisoo decided to give her daughter a bit of chocolate. She knew that the absence of Jennie had been hard on her. Placing it all into a little plastic bowel, Jisoo turned to be faced with an empty bar chair. Bewildered, she put the snack onto the counter, scouring the room in muted panic for her daughter.

The sight that greeted her only brought more shock. There was Jennie, wide awake, clutching Annie close to her chest like she had not seen her in a thousand years. Tears formed in her now far off eyes, and she breathed out as if the weight of the world had been taken off of her.

Lisa was there too.

She sat up when Jisoo spotted her, calling out, "Is it time for me to leave now?"

As if broken from her spell, Jennie looked over at Jisoo. For the first time in a week, Jisoo let herself relax a little, knowing that the mother of her child was going to be alright. Jennie seemed to do quite the opposite.

The actress returned her gaze to Lisa, "Yes, thank you so much for this."

"Anything for you," She smiled sheepishly, "It's not like I live far anyway."

After Lisa shuffled out, Jennie attempted to stand, but stopped for a reason unknown to Jisoo. Settling back down, she smiled at the still star struck Annie, "Can you refill mummy's water?"

Obediently, Annie grasped the glass before running over. That was the real miracle in Jisoo's eyes, her child not talking back. After she over filled it, Jisoo decided it was best if she took over, "Eat your snack, I'll look after your mum."

That seemed to be even better news for the little girl, quickly hopping up and tucking in to her chocolate and strawberries. Calmly, Jisoo poured out some of the water so it would not spill, and dried the wet outside with a towel that hung on the oven. As the actress made her way over, she felt much the same as she had in the hospital room. Instead of her hands, her legs felt like jelly.

When she reached Jennie, her awkward hand held up the glass, "Here."

With hesitance, Jennie took it, only sipping a small amount, "Thank you."

The two did not break eye contact. Jisoo was looking for a signal, anything. Jennie was more expectant, like she expected her ex wife to have some sort of speech. Deciding she did not like looking down on her, Jisoo took her seat on a couch perpendicular to Jennie's. Even with the distance, Jennie still noticeably tensed.

After another moment, Jisoo spoke again, "How are you feeling?"

"Why did you take me here?" Jennie countered, with no real malice in her voice, "I should be at home."

Your home is suited for rats, not humans.

Jisoo held her tongue, picking her words tactfully, "The nurse specifically said that you needed to stay with someone, and since I too am Annie's mother, it made sense for that someone to be me," Jisoo thought for a moment before saying the second part, "The other options for you... Rosie clearly wasn't able, so that only left-"

"My parents, yes Jisoo, you truly are the lesser of two evils," Jennie took another, much more heated sip of water, "Did that mean I had to stay at your... bachelor pad?"

"This is Annie's condo," Jisoo corrected, not wanting Jennie to think she was playing around in this place, "We stay here during her time with me. I would never force you, or Annie, to live somewhere so inappropriate."

The actress would be lying if she said Jennie's bold assumption did not hurt. Did she really think Jisoo was even capable of looking at another woman? Taking one to her bed? Who could blame her if she did.

As her mind was racing with these thoughts, Jennie finally relaxed, "Fine then, this will do until Annie and I can go home."

Jisoo frowned, "You want to go back there?"

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Well," Jisoo took a second to reimagine the abode, "When I went there-"

Jennie glared, "You went there?"

"Annie ran out of clothes," Jisoo brushed over, "That is besides the point. I am surprised that house was deemed fit for human habitation, more so you deemed it that way."

"Don't talk to me like that," The mother dead-panned.

Sighing, Jisoo calmed herself, "Sorry, I should never use that tone with you," She felt her face soften, "Be honest Jennie, please. How are you feeling?"

Jennie shifted a little, "I could use a shower but," Her voice lowered a little so Annie could not hear, "I can barely stand for the most part."

It was obvious how embarrassing this was for her. Jennie was strong, independent, to lose such a basic function would be a terrible blow on her pride. Still, Jisoo saw some salvation. The mother deserved a break from her hard work, and the actress was happy to provide it.

"I'll run you a bath," Jisoo decided, "I have some spare clothes you can borrow too."

"Alright," Jennie once again grew uncomfortable, "What if... I need help getting in or out? Or... during?"

Instantly, Jisoo knew Jennie did not want her anywhere near when undressed, proving that the deep wound of distrust was still prevalent. There was no harm in that. The mere idea of such vulnerability between the two seemed strange after so long. Jisoo had no right.

"I'll call Rosie, if you're comfortable with her," Jisoo clarified.

"I am," Jennie seemed relieved, "Can we do it this evening?"

The answer, at least to Jisoo, seemed as simple as it was obvious, "Anything for you."