Chapter fifteen

The quiet pads of Lisa's shoes faded as she went back to her own apartment. Behind her, Jisoo could hear the giggles of her girls, causing her composure to waver. No real choice lay in front of her, mindlessly reaching for her phone in her joggers. The call had been short and sweet, barely taking up five minutes of Jisoo's time. Much like Lisa had suggested, the executive had been more than accommodating, granting her two whole weeks off. Luckily, no schedule had been made up for her, only a small juice commercial which could be easily moved.

As it ended, Jisoo felt a lightness which had not been present before. This was the closest she had come to freedom in so many years. Finally closing the apartment door, Jisoo turned back to face her family. Annie was screaming with laughter, nearly falling off the couch in her delirious state, Jennie doting her all the while. Nothing should ever trouble my little girl, Jisoo thought, I have to make it stop.

Calmly, Jisoo went to sit down, instantly being toppled by her girl. Tickling was the obvious response, followed by a heap of kisses. By the end of it, Annie was more annoyed than overjoyed.

"Get off of me mum!" She complained, "You're so embarrassing."

"Noooooooooooo," Jisoo cooed, "You're not supposed to say that until your at least thirteen."

Jennie did her best to hold back her laughter, but to no avail.

Annie remained blank, "What happens when I turn thirteen?"

Jennie suddenly grew defensive, "Nothing, you will never grow up."

With no self control, Jisoo burst out laughing. Annie remained just as perplexed, tugging on her mum's T-shirt for answers. Jisoo simply hugged her, as if the little girl would disappear when she let go.

"You know I love you, don't you?" Jisoo whispered.

"Uh huh," Annie responded, still confused, "I know."

"Good," Jisoo got up, "I'll make dinner."

Jennie shifted slightly, "Are you sure?"

"Yeah..."

Jisoo had always cooked for her mother, back when she was still around. Though it had admittedly been a while since she attempted her old woman's receipts, now felt like the time to try. After all, she was on holiday. Slicing through red and green bell peppers, Jisoo wondered why she had stopped. The repetitive, methodical movements were comforting.

Completely taken aback, Jennie had set Annie up with a movie so she could watch in peace. Jisoo reckoned that was her fault. Not even in their happiest of years had Jisoo stirred herself to cook, Jennie never forced her. She was just too lazy. But, for the sake of her precious child, that was going to change.

When the evening rolled around, it was Jisoo who put Annie to bed. Tucked under her purple covers, her little eyes grew drowsy as Jisoo wound down her bedtime story. But Jisoo needed her awake for another minute, moving some of the hair out of her eyes.

"An," She softly spoke, "You know you can tell me anything, don't you?"

The little girl nodded, which Jisoo took as a sign to continue.

"Not just the happy stuff, but the sad things too," Jisoo took a moment to think before continuing, "It's very important for you to tell your mummy and I when you are sad. If you just let it simmer, all that bad stuff can boil over and be even worse than it was to begin with. But... if we talk it out, then we can all be happier in the long run."

Annie nodded again, opening her eyes slightly, "I love you mum."

"I love you too, darling," Jisoo smiled, pressing a small kiss into her daughter's forehead, "Goodnight."