Chapter seventeen

On summer days, where the sun was bright and the clouds few, Lisa loved to explore the city with her camera. This was usually a solitary affair. Most of her work associates found this side of her to be too mundane, her assistant found it insufferable. That was why Lisa was shocked when Jisoo called her and asked to come.

Lisa had been borderline ecstatic, hardly able to contain herself when Jisoo showed up to her apartment with an old camera she had let her 'borrow'. The two headed off with sunglasses and backpacks, both optimistic they would find scenes worth remembering. Both knew there was only one place to go if they wished to remain undisturbed.

The outskirts of the city were much quieter than the centre Lisa was used to. An abandoned industrial sight was where they settled, the whole place had a feeling of desolation, then rebirth through nature. Colourful graffiti coated many of the walls, thick green vines and moss lined the cracks. It was perfect. Squatting, Lisa landed a perfect shot of a dandelion caught in golden rays, bright and lively. Looking over, she saw Jisoo struggling to get a good shot of a wall covered in purple and black art.

Stretching, Lisa called, "Do you know how to take a photo with it?"

"Yes!" Jisoo snapped, "Do you know how to respect your elders?"

Lisa only laughed, sauntering her way over. As Jisoo swore under her breath, Lisa was tempted to take out her phone and record it. The perfect actress was rarely anything short of composed, making this truly a sight to behold. For now, Lisa was more than happy to watch Jisoo's pathetic attempt at using her camera.

"Got any new roles?" Lisa asked.

"Nope," Jisoo's voice grew more content, "I'll have to start preparing for a movie soon, but there is at least two weeks until that happens."

"Two weeks off," Lisa wished the woman had taken months, but she was willing to compromise.

Finally, Jisoo made the camera click, "I'm gonna take Annie to the park after school, the kid loves the outdoors."

"Fresh air clears the mind," Lisa agreed.

"The fact she has anything to clear at the age of eight..." Jisoo cut herself off, caught up in her own emotions.

Taking in a breath, Lisa tread over a delicate question, "Have you raised my concerns with Jennie."

"Absolutely not," Another click came from the camera, "She has enough on her plate dealing with her stomach and me."

"She won't thank you for keeping things from her," Lisa frowned.

"That's all I'm good for," Jisoo spat, lowering the camera, "I haven't given her a straight answer in eight years."

Lisa knew what this was, a divorce tangent. Every few months, Jisoo would have a proper break in her facade and just vent everything on her mind about her ex wife. Each time, it hit three spots; the overall events of the divorce, the effect it has had on the two of them and Annie, and her guilt for never telling Jennie the real reason for their split. Jennie's own father.

"It keeps her from me," Jisoo blinked rapidly, "I want to just hold her so badly, and take away all the harm the world has caused her. But she doesn't trust me, I see it in her eyes. But I can't even blame her because it was me who put it there."

Lisa was glad she never let herself fall, this just seemed awfully messy. She learned that lesson in university. Carefully, the photographer gave her response, "But you're making progress. Not to mention..." Lisa second guessed herself before speaking, yet continued anyway, "It has been a long time since it happened, Jisoo. Maybe you could tell her."