Chapter fourteen (lengthened)

She's here. A Goliath and not as proof read as it should be, enjoy.

With the light piercing her eyes, Jennie awoke half dazed and unmoving. She could feel the heavy duvet pressing into her back, attempting to lull her eyes back down. Instead they opened further. Vaguely, she could hear the faintest roar of traffic and the soft breaths of the woman who lay underneath her. It had gone unnoticed until now, but fingers were delicately running through Jennie's hair, just the way she used to love.

Suddenly, her eyes were sharp, fixed on the blue sky outside the open window. Birds flew gracefully in the distance, Jennie felt her heart thump in tune with their wings. How did she get here?

Casually, her head turned upwards to face Jisoo, her dreamy gaze turning shocked as a result. Gentle fingers stopped, "I thought you were asleep."

Strangely, Jennie was unsure of how to respond. Reality had left her conscious. Surely she should have been angry, confused, anything. Instead, she simply accepted her situation. There was no real harm waking up with a bit of warmth. Besides, it was Jennie who caused it.

"Good morning to you to," As much as Jennie tried, she could not find it within herself to be embarrassed.

Jisoo was turning red, "Morning."

Red cheeks brought her back, seeing Jisoo's pale blue tears, the way they had filled the mother's chest. With the brief pause, Jennie's mind began to buzz. She was here, in a bed, with her ex. Not just any ex, that ex. She felt like she was back in high school. But, the most important aspect about this situation had yet to be addressed.

"Where's Annie?" Torn eyes filled with concern.

Jisoo only smiled, like she read the mother's mind, "With Lisa, I got a text about an hour ago."

"Oh," Jennie did not settle, "What time is it?"

"Um," Jisoo picked up her phone, slightly shocked, "Half eleven."

With that, Jennie shot out of bed, recognising the faint sigh of disappointment Jisoo released. The cold hit her as she walked down the corridor, creeping up her arms and submerging the bottoms of her feet. Of course, today of all days, she forgot her dressing gown and slippers.

Going into the fridge, Jennie took out some apple juice, butter, eggs and milk. Mindlessly, she began to prepare decadent scrambled eggs, even finding time to fish out a glass for her drink. By the time she was done, the mother had hardly realised what she had made, the simple dish engraved into her muscle memory.

During this, she properly thought of the strange night she had just traversed. It had felt like wondering through an imaginary world, a princess smiling graciously in her purple castle. But now Jennie was awake, and very confused. A strange, unwanted feeling filled her chest, and her stoic cheeks were warm. The symptoms were all there, and only one thought crossed her mind.

How could I fall for that dramatic woman twice!

Against all odds, or maybe just her own, the adorable little worm that was Jisoo had once again managed to wriggle her way into Jennie's heart. Naturally, Jennie was furious. Placing two filled plates on the countertop, Jennie went to put the carton away with the ingredients, silently cursing to herself.

"Do I not get juice?"

Jennie glared at the unwanted guest, slamming the carton back on the table before taking her seat, "There."

Wide-eyed, Jisoo quietly made her way over, carefully taking out her own glass, and pouring her own juice. In silence, the two began to eat, Jennie's heart fluttering when she caught glimpses of Jisoo's happy face. Somehow, it made her mood even more stingy.