Chapter twenty one

Jennie's night had been purple. Everything had been so blue; Rosie's strange altercation with Lisa had left Jennie protective, not to mention, Annie had scored low on her spelling test. Even once she was home, her senses, half paranoia filled, noticed how Jisoo looked at her. Her stare contained more than their usual warmth, a sense of knowing tainting her perfect face. Half expecting for Jisoo to spill, Jennie grew more nervous when she realised Jisoo would not say in front of Annie.

Then it all poured out.

The mother would be lying if she said she didn't relish in that kiss. Those few moments, locked and boiling for too long, exploded into pure red heat. When Jennie had gone to sleep, the two had merged into Jisoo's face on her chest, a thousand miles away whist Jennie was still trapped on earth.

There were too many words for Jennie to remember just one, but she could boil it down to a few; Jisoo was given an ultimatum between her dream job and wife, and chose her career. Now walking to work, Jennie could not help but feel bitter. Surely, she should rate above something like that?

The spring breeze did not stir goosebumps. Yet, Jennie further secured her jacket around herself. In the early hours of the morning, Jennie had continued her book. The princess had grown tired of the castle, and instead ventured out into the woods that surrounded it. Thick thorns and dark roots ripped her dress, grazing her skin, yet the princess still continued into the shadows, with no clue as to what had stirred her down this path.

Jennie had been disturbed by this, but lacked the reasoning as to why. The princess was coming closer to freedom, but Jennie still saw her as entirely trapped.

When Jennie arrived, Rosie was already at the shop, wiping down some tables. The two shared a brief smile, one of kindness and support, before Jennie made her way to the back room to change for work. Briskly, Jennie pulled her hair into a ponytail, and loosely tied her red apron around her stomach. Her stomach had been quiet as of late, but she wanted to give it no reason for stress.

Rosie was waiting for her, with an intent look on her face.

Jennie merely scrunched her nose, "You need to learn how to stare respectfully."

Rosie did not change, "You kissed her."

The mother's eyes widened, "How did you-"

"A best friend just knows these things," Rosie said whilst waving her hand.

Jennie ignored her joke, "What gave it away?"

"You're acting like a cloud halfway between white and grey. I've never met anyone else who can polarise you like her," Rosie shrugged returning to her work, "Just don't be stupid with it."

Sighing, Jennie began to write the labels for the ice cream flavours, "I'm never stupid with it."

"You got divorced," Rosie said flatly, "Clearly someone was very stupid."

Not me.

Jennie was too shocked to respond, instead continuing with her task.

"Look, I'm not saying don't. I know how you look at her, how she looks at you," Rosie took a second before continuing, "I just don't want you to run off the same cliff thinking you'll land on something soft. You're eight years older now, you've got a carrier, child and even me. I need you to know that you don't need this."

"Annie deserves both of her mothers."

"If you two can't stay in the same room because for some reason your self control pops out, it's only going to hurt her more in the end."

"I have control," Jennie breathes, barely holding onto her anger, "I've had control over everything for eight long years alone, making sure the world doesn't spin too fast. All that did was land me in hospital."

Rosie didn't respond, but cleaned with more fury.

"Jisoo was warm and gentle, made sure we kept it simple," Jennie indulged, "I was the one who wanted more, Rosie. And it wasn't just because it was her, it was because it felt good, I felt good."

"You don't need her for that!" Rosie burst, "Are you a penguin, Jennie? Are you bound to her for life? Literally half of our patrons would love to assist you, and god only knows how many people who just glance at you."

"Because it's my choice," Jennie said, finally beginning to believe it herself, "Everything I do with her will be at entirely my will and choice, unless she says no. Very few things are like that in my life. It's precious, and that makes her precious."

"Are you precious to her." Rosie counters.

"She said she loved me," Jennie responded, "That feels precious."

Rosie threw her rag in frustration, "Why are you both so gay?"

The mother could feel her chest whilst. Rosie had always been like a little sister, and these scuffles only cemented it further. This was a strange and old situation, something that had once held them together like glue. Jennie knew that they had both outgrown the support it provided, yet she still wished to have both Jisoo and Lisa as a part of her life. She wanted Rosie there too.

"Lavender evenings come with the territory," Jennie broke, trying to break the tension.

Rosie moved out from behind the counter, crushing Jennie into a hug, "I love you so much Jennie, don't do anything I would do."

Jennie burst out laughing, "Of course not. How bad are we talking?"

"Don't propose after three months."

Oh Rosie, your past never fails to amaze me.

"Deal."