Chapter eleven

A slow few days greeted the odd group. School days and absent friends left the mother fairly bored in her icy white condo. Hours were spent running through T.V programmes and cheesy movies, all failed to impress her. Jennie had tried and failed to continue with her book, a certain face now embodied her beloved princess's persona, shroud in purple. Though, Annie's birthday was still firmly at the front of everyone's minds.

With the plans finalised, Jennie's worries were laid to rest. Jisoo had even offered to pay for the entire affair, since Jennie had not been working. But there was a catch. The actress was unable to attend. For Jennie, this seemed quite reasonable; Jisoo was a high profile actress, her presence at an eight year old's birthday would seem quite strange, not to mention she had a meeting. Annie had a different perspective, why would a woman so open about her child in public suddenly be unable to attend a birthday? Everyone knew about the child, Jennie supposed it was the 'father' that would cause controversy.

When the day finally came, Jennie was a ball of nerves. Since it was at the ice cream shop, Rosie had arranged a few part time workers to help keep everything running smoothly. Rosie was amazing, making sure there was minimal mess, and that all the arrangements went according to plan. It made Jennie feel more organised than Lisa's secretary.

Due to her limited mobility, Jennie was mostly left to sit and watch. The scene was quite pleasant, her daughter smiling with the other children as they decorated their own ice cream, but she longed to be a part of it.

After the children settled down to eat, Rosie joined her friend, "They all seem happy."

"Thanks to you," Jennie forced out a smile, "I hope you're not too tired."

The ice cream lady laughed, "Why do you think I sat down?"

Jennie frowned, "To spend time with me."

"Absolutely not."

"Hey!"

Rosie shot Jennie a wink, "You can't even make strachatella."

"You don't pay me to make ice cream, you pay me because I'm pretty enough to sell it."

Rosie burst out again, "Of course."

The mother only shook her head, "You're unbelievable."

Both relaxed into a comfortable silence, watching as Annie devoured her self made monstrosity of an ice cream, topped with M&Ms, apricots and pretzels alike. But there was something off with the M&Ms, something which made Jennie's stomach feel empty. They were all purple.

Five minutes off from her meeting, Jisoo made her way into the corporate office. She had only just made it after dropping off Annie and Jennie, the shop nearly being on the opposite end of town. The shiny white walls and pillars of the main felt ominous in the midday light, murky brown shadows casting on the floor. As expected, a receptionist received her at the front desk, quickly sending Jisoo in the direction to the meeting room.

Her heels clicking on the immaculate ground, Jisoo calmly entered an elevator and waited. It was her final moment of peace before judgement. Closing her eyes, Jisoo pictured her daughter laughing, hitting a stick off a tree. For some reason, that simple snapshot of childish wonder never failed to make her smile.

When the doors opened, Jisoo's eyes adjusted to a dull corridor with the dreaded door at the end. The only decorations were waiting seats. One occupant was sat, Lisa. Warmly, Jisoo smiled at her friend, making her way over. As much as the photographer tried to return it, a clear nervousness was about her. That was understandable, it was the worst time of the year.

Lisa stood, "Did you wish the kid a happy birthday from me?"

"Of course," Jisoo finally reached her, "An just asked if you were going to give her a camera."