Chapter nineteen

Bright and early in the Kim household, a kettle was boiling and eggs sizzling, breakfast on the way. Attending to these sacred duties was, of course, Jennie, dressed in her work uniform for the first time in what felt like an eternity. As tough as work could be, the mother was happy to go back, relishing in the independence it gave her.

Beneath her, Annie played with the pastel skirt, moping, "Do you have to go back?"

Laughing, Jennie leaned down and kissed the top of her daughter's head, "Of course, darling. It's my job."

"Mum already has a job," Annie pointed out.

"Am I not allowed one?" Jennie teased.

"Your job is being mummy, you don't need two."

"Don't be silly dear, plenty of people do both," Jennie began to scramble some eggs.

"I know," Annie admitted, "But you work too much."

"You know how much I need to work, darling," Jennie sighed, "Can you please look out some cutlery, breakfast is nearly ready."

Stropping for a moment, Annie sets the counter for three, muttering to herself all the while. With impeccable timing, Jisoo entered, still in her pyjamas with messy black hair, matted like a bush. Slouching into her chair, the actress greets her daughter with a lazy smile. All that was returned were complaints.

"Mum," Annie whined, "Make mummy not go to work."

In an instant, the actress' mood was lowered. Before Jennie had fully gotten out of bed, the two had 'discussed' the whole work situation. As much as Jisoo tried to convince Jennie it was unnecessary, the mother had already been greeted by the derelict conditions of her life before the accident. The mother would never let anything get in the way of supporting herself, especially for Annie's sake.

"I can't stop her," Jisoo rested her head on her hand, "It's not my choice."

Annie only groaned, dramatically sitting in her chair, "But it's not fair."

"I know, An," Jisoo soothed, "But we have to let people do what they want. Choices are what makes us human."

Jisoo, even at such an ungodly hour, still found a way to lecture her daughter. As Jennie plated the food, she listened to Jisoo's words of wisdom. A certain bitterness filled her. Of course people are their choices, but she saw humans as a separate entity. Some choices are inhuman, She thought, though did not voice.

Her two patrons ate their meals quickly and with no complaint. Because of her stomach, Jennie had to eat a bit slower. Everyday progress was made, yet somehow her affliction still remained. Glancing over, Jennie watched as Jisoo went over Annie's spelling, emphasising the letters as she did. This bug has lasted longer than you did.

As quickly as the thought was had, Jennie buried it, she wanted her head clear for work. Always one of timing, Jisoo glanced over, a warm twinge in her eye. Despite her stupor, Jennie returned with the fragment of a smile, wondering how Jisoo had managed to pry those from her again. But she already knew the dreaded answer.

After she was done, Jennie took the dishes and placed them in the sink, having no time to wash up. Calmly, she threw on her old jacket and stretched her hand out to Annie, "Come on, Darling, I'll walk with you."

"No," Jisoo's voice was firm, "You're working all day, no more bloody walking."

Too early to argue, Jennie simply nodded and waited for Jisoo to fetch her keys.

Her first day back had been amazing. Rosie had let her man the cash register for the most part, and had even sourced a stool so the mother would not get too tired. Old regulars were happy to see her, making small talk and telling her all about the inexperienced teenagers who had attempted to fill her shoes.