Prologue

It was through no fault of her own that Jennie found herself signing divorce papers. The meeting had been arranged two weeks in advance, her hope was that she could convince Jisoo to stay. Obviously, she was unsuccessful. The crisp white paper felt so sterile. Her hands ran over the words again and again, wondering if any of this was real.

Eventually, she looked over the the woman sitting opposite her, Jisoo, the love of her life. They had held this meeting in Jisoo's office, a place that used to be filled with laughter, now it was dull. Her cold expression, though there only to poorly hide her emotions, broke Jennie's heart, somehow more than it already was.

Jisoo sighed, "You've signed them?"

"Yes."

"Correctly?"

"Yes, Jisoo," Jennie said, her voice growing weak.

The actress's eyes softened, "Good. I believe we are done then."

"No..." Jennie's voice trailed off, her eyes falling to her black handbag that rested against her seat.

"No?" Jisoo snapped, "You're not going to talk me out of this, Miss Kim."

Miss Kim. It felt strange to hear that again, especially from Jisoo. It made everything more real than Jennie wanted it to be.

"It's not that," Jennie clarified, reaching into her bag, "We.." She took in a breath, "We have to settle this."

Her hands shaking, Jennie placed a new pile of documents onto the table.

Jisoo eyed the documents, sliding them over to her side of the desk. As she began to read them, her eyes widened, "These are for the custody of children. How is this relevant to us?"

Jennie waited a moment, hoping she would not have to say it. Alas, Jisoo did not catch on. Jennie tried and failed to compose herself, she had dreamed this moment to be one of the happiest in her life, and yet, it did nothing but hurt her more with each passing second.

"Honey," Jennie breathed, "I'm pregnant."

Jisoo froze, confused, "We're women."

Jennie let out a bitter laugh, "Do you remember this time last year, you said you wanted to try... but you were infertile." Jisoo nodded, so Jennie continued, "And then we went back so I could try IVF instead, but the first round failed.

"Well, the second worked. It was going to be a surprise," Jennie felt tears prickle at her eyes, "I wanted to tell you, I really did, but then you decided to leave. I needed to know that you loved me before I told you, so you wouldn't just stay with me for the baby and grow miserable."

Jisoo was speechless, of all the things that could have happened, this was by far the worst. She was no longer just leaving her beloved wife, she was abandoning the mother of her child. A part of her wanted to take it all back, to rip the documents in half and hold Jennie in her arms. But, she had to do this, she had to.

Jisoo stared at the woman who would bring her baby into this world, feeling beyond guilty. She took in her beautiful eyes, filled with tears, tears she had caused. Jisoo may have to leave her side, but she had enough of a spine to stand for the little one she had yet to meet.

Against her better judgement, Jisoo reached her hand across the desk and placed it on top of Jennie's warm ones. She locked her eyes onto Jennie's hoping that the sincerity of her words would carry through, "I'm sorry that this has to happen, I'm sorry that it is not just us affected by this. But Jennie, I will make the world bend backwards so there will be food on the table for our baby. I'll send you anything you need. I can't promise I'll always be able to take the kid for ice cream on the weekends, or maybe a week away so you can have a break, but I'll try. What I can promise you, my darling, is that I will be there for our child."

A lil teaser for what is to come. When it is released, I hope you enjoy.