Chapter ten

When Rosie arrived, Jennie felt nothing short of joy. The Australian's kind, familiar face was a warm welcome in the cold condo. Her mere presence was enough to turn the white lights yellow. Annie, who had expected ice cream, was mildly disappointed when Rosie pulled shampoo and conditioner out of her bag.

"I do own some as well," Jisoo commented.

"What kind?"

"What do you mean, what kind? It's just hair!"

As breathtaking as Jisoo was, she always remained natural. Most dutifully, Rosie had spent years crafting the perfect routine to try keep as much of her bleached hair as possible. It was the care and intricacy Jennie needed to finally feel more like herself. Though it was terribly complicated.

"This is the hair mask," Rosie declared, holding up yet another bottle to her friend.

Jennie scrunched her nose, "Why does my hair need a mask?"

"To moisturise it!" Rosie stated, like it was the most obvious thing in the world, "Anyway, which bath bomb do you want?"

To her horror, the mother was faced with ten different colourful options, "Why do you have so many?"

"Self care," Rosie smiled, "D'you want the yellow one?"

"Yes please."

Soon, Rosie began to run the bath, the steam pouring from Jisoo's en suit and into the bedroom. The noise created was quiet, but repetitive. As condensation grew on the windows a little head peeped through the door, looking rather nervous. Jennie's heart melted at the very sight of her daughter.

"Mummy?" Annie piped.

"I'm here, darling," Jennie responded, "Is everything alright?"

Annie came in, biting her nails, a recent habit. She made her way over to the couch Jennie was sitting on, and hopped up next to her. From there, she gave her mummy a cuddle.

Gladly, Jennie returned it, "Aww, aren't you soft today?"

Unsurprisingly, Annie had been more clingy since she saw her mother. After a full week of separation, without even being allowed to enter the room, the little girl certainly grew to cherish the time she had.

"I'm sorry I didn't visit you," She mumbled, "Mum wouldn't let me in. I thought you'd gone away without me."

Out of all the things Jisoo had done, Jennie considered that to be the smartest. She could not remember a single thing from the past week. If she had said something to upset Annie, or acted inappropriately around her, she never would have forgiven herself.

"Mummy was just sleeping," Jennie kissed her daughter's head, "You know I'll always come back. I love you."

"I love you too," Annie responded, now at ease, "What you doing?"

"Rosie's running me a bath," Jennie smiled.

"Why?"

"Because I'm smelly."

Annie giggled, "Smelly mummy."

"Smelly mummy," Jennie agreed, giving her daughter another kiss.

Content, the two remained in each other's embrace for another moment, a rare break of calm in their otherwise loud lives. Soon, the water faucet finally stopped pouring, and Jennie heard Rosie plop something into the bath. It was time.

"Annie, come," An all too familiar voice came from the door.

Both mother and daughter turned to look. Annie smiled whilst Jennie remained neutral. Calmly, Jisoo held out her hand, grinning when Annie ran over to take it. Jennie hated how good seeing that made her feel.