Kabanata 14

About Love — MARINA

Kabanata 14

"You're still crying?" Iscalade extends the box of tissues on my side. Kunot ang kanyang noo habang ginagawa ito.

Tinanggap ko naman ito at pinunasan ang ilang patak ng luha sa aking pisngi. I also wiped the area below my eyelids. Hindi ko pa rin tinatanggal ang salamin ko.

"Ilang ulit na natin napanood 'to. Kabisado ko na nga 'yung linya sa dulo e. Love is like the wind, you can't see it but you can feel it." He qouted, with an animated expression. His eyes were still glued on the screen.

His arms were draped around the armrest of the couch. Ubos na rin ang popcorn at soda na nasa gilid niya. We were supposed to watch at their theatre room but we got lazy and settled on the living room instead.

"Namamatay pa rin si Jamie e," I mumbled, hiccuping because of the cry fest I did earlier.

"Huwag ka magalala, hahanap tayo ng version na hindi namatay si Jamie," biro niya.

Humihikbi ako habang patuloy ang pagbaba ng credits ng pelikulang A Walk to Remember. This was the seventh time we watched it. Pero iniiyakan ko pa rin. Mugto na nga 'yata ang aking mga mata. Si Iscalade na lang talaga 'yung walang masyadong reaksyon.

Napanguso ako. The first time he watched the film with me, he didn't react much. He was even confused with the ending! Bakit daw naging ghoster si Jamie sa dulo. I told him that Jamie died. He concluded that Jamie did 'ghost' Landon since she died and she became a ghost. What a meanie!

On the other hand, I was emotionally scarred because of the movie. Kahit 'yata ilang beses ko pa itong panoorin, I can't accept the ending. The love between them were so pure and it emits a certain longing for a love that lasts for a lifetime. It was indeed a miracle to find someone who loves you in a way that embodies the infamous Corinthians verse.

"I'm glad Jamie found her miracle," my lips curved into a smile.

"You know, I realized this whole movie marathon thing isn't working for me." Iscalade sighed. "Siguro kailangan kong basahin muna 'yung mga libro?"

"Do you want to? I have the books! I'll also recommend you good ones!" I acted a little too giddy. Agad na napawi ito dahil ayoko namang isipin niyang pinipilit ko siyang magbasa.

"Do you like reading that much?" he asked, smiling.

Tumango naman ako. I even pointed my eyeglasses.

"I love reading so much and because of it, I've seen the hot air balloon plenty of times already." I said, pertaining to the autorefractor used to check the correction needed for the eyes.

Iscalade bobbed his head, not removing his eyes away from me.

"Ikaw po ba? Do you like reading?"

"I don't, actually..." he confessed, meekly. "but I like talking about books with you. Kaya gusto ko na rin magbasa ng mga binabasa mo."

My forehead created a small crease.

"Bakit naman po?"

"Alam mo 'yung mga memes sa social media? Where girls are compared to literary pieces such as poems? But the boys cannot read? Kaya hindi nila makita 'yung ganda nung tula?"

"Yeah..." I recited the meme he was referring to, in my mind. The 'She Was Poetry But He Couldn't Read' meme.

"Your whole existence is poetry for me, Philomena. I don't understand you quite well but for some reason I feel something about you. Ang weird 'di ba?" He was too upfront, tousling his hair while having a confuse expression on his face.