13 - M

Please do not report me to the spicy police... I sure uploaded the T+ version of the chapter before this one, so if you still read this you very well know what's awaiting you. Heh. Also this is my first attempt at writing M. Be nice.

BOOK II

Chapter XIII: Dreams (Rated M)

VOLTERRA. . .

Jane kept her face impassive as she led Amun and Benjamin through the carpeted corridors, occasionally throwing a backwards glance at the reputable men trailing some paces behind her.

"I see Aro has acquired more pieces to expand his collection since my last visit," Amun observed, hands clasped behind his back as they strolled leisurely.

The vanished Rembrandt... Raphael's missing portrait... Jan van Eyck's The Just Judges, believed to have been recovered and stashed away by the French government following the Versailles treaty...

Amun smirked. Perhaps not. Masterpieces thought to be lost forever, destroyed in fires, all well and sitting pretty for display underneath Florence after all. "This used to be a bare walkway, you know."

"And when was that?" Benjamin inquired curiously, then joked, "A thousand years ago?"

To Jane's interest, the elderly vampire only shrugged. "Give or take. It's been a long time." Amun's voice was louder this time, directed at her. "And you must be Jane, the witch fiend Aro wrote about in the past. You're nearing your three hundreds now, aren't you?"

Jane gave a nearly imperceptible nod, biting down on the tip of her tongue to pull back a scowl.

"Hn." Amun narrowed his gaze at her consideringly. "Where's your twin? Massacreing villages, yes?"

"Dispatched," she retorted curtly.

"Please, don't mind him," Benjamin told her with a sympathizing look. "He's just annoyed that you guys took in his favorite student before he could." The young Egyptian threw his hands up in an attempt to look innocent when Amun whirled around to deign him with a deadly glare. "What? It's true."

Upon their arrival at the convening chambers, Jane stopped next to the doors and said, succinct, "Masters Caius and Marcus have been notified of your arrival. They will be with you shortly."

"Thank you, Jane." Benjamin bid sincerely as she watched the two step into the threshold. Benjamin added, "Will we be meeting your twin as well?"

Jane paused from her exit, if only to shake her head at the curious visitor. "He will be away for long."

"I see. You must be a bit lonesome then," Benjamin eye-smiled at her. "I'll find you after Amun and I greet the kings, yes?"

Jane's brows pushed together. "What for?" She really just wanted to go back to her room and enjoy the peace while it lasted.

The younger Egyptian shrugged, flicking a dry, pointed look at the impatient old man who had gone straight into the chambers without him. "You know old men. They talk all day. Perhaps a tour of the grounds?" Benjamin laughed softly at her suspicious squint. "I was changed around sixty years ago, so I'm not so old," he humored her before waving a hand in friendly goodbye and disappearing into the chambers. "Let's be friends, Jane. I'll see you later."

Perplexed, Jane stared at the intricate woodwork of the mahogany doors as it closed right in front of her.

Friends?

Jane hadn't met a lot of people outside her existence in the Volturi. She met vampires as young as the visiting Egyptian even less, and she was sure the only friends she ever considered to be as such were the ones in the Guard. She supposed Benjamin Nehesy hadn't been told the full extent of her power yet, and that would explain his naivete about her person. Hopefully, the Masters would tell him, and common sense would dictate him against pursuing whatever 'friendship' he had in mind, then ultimately, she would be able to spend a quiet afternoon lost in the wonders of the internet.