6.1

Chapter VI - I: A Nobody in Volterra

Part I

THE NORTHERN CHAMBERS, VOLTERRA CASTLE. . .

A granite boulder crashed onto the chamber wall, barely missing the doorways. Chunks of stone broke upon impact and the booming crash that followed echoed through the lower corridors of the castle, startling the servants attending to the wing.

Aro paused from exiting the chambers, a brow twitching. "Cease with the dramatics, Caius." Aro said in a cautionary tone. "I will not tolerate this a second time."

"Have you lost your mind?" The ivory-haired king's voice seethed, dripping with fury. "You have humiliated us the first time they walked free, and now you expect us to school humans? What has Volterra become?"

"Think of it as amassing power," Aro suggested with a wave of a hand.

"Then turn the human and get it over with!" Caius snarled. His burning gaze turned to the other royal draped on a chesterfield sofa on the far side of the room, as disinterested as ever. "And you! Millennia of being the castle sloth, only to emerge as a deviant! You should be ashamed!"

Marcus shrugged. "I anticipate the joys to come from teaching, that is all."

"'Joys'?" Caius' head was throbbing, and his hands were itching for necks to wring. "We have burnt friends and family for less — the law of secrecy applies just as strictly to us!"

Marcus looked pointedly in Aro's direction. That was true.

Aro sighed before leaning against the door frame and crossing his arms. "Perhaps it is time to discuss the visions young Alice has seen of Altheia's immortality?" Marcus rose slowly from the chesterfield couch and walked towards the doorway. "The moment Altheia Beneventi stepped into Volterra, her fate was sealed."

"That psychic has been the bane of my life," Caius muttered disdainfully. "And there you go again with Fate. Nonsense!"

"As I have to confess, my brothers," Marcus murmured, an arm reaching out to Aro as he passed the boulder Caius had hurled in rage. "My intentions aren't exactly pure..."

Caius' brows furrowed together as his brothers held hands in silence. As the reading ended, Marcus looked almost guilty but Aro's face betrayed nothing. Aro remained unusually quiet for a time.

"If I were to convince you, brother," Aro started to say to Caius slowly after the pause. "That accepting a student meant having a companion, would you agree?"

Caius was taken aback by the unexpected turn of inquiry but clenched his jaw stubbornly as Aro advanced towards him. He sent a glare towards Marcus' direction. "In case my brothers have conveniently forgotten, Athenodora exists."

"And yet," Aro blinked owlishly as he stopped just in front of Caius. "You are more desolate than you have ever been."

Caius opened his mouth to retort, but stepped back, surprised and defensive when Aro lifted his hands to him.

"Come on then, brother," Aro taunted, both palms were offered up to Caius. "Take a hand and prove me wrong."

Both brothers stared each other down silently before Caius folded, his lips curled in distaste. His brothers never forced his judgment, but he knew when he was outnumbered. And most importantly, he always knew when Aro was scheming.

He avoided Aro's hands, sidestepping him. "Take a pet should you like," he hissed low as he passed his brothers. "But becoming a student of mine must be earned." Caius paused when he reached doorway, leveling Aro with a glare. "You have always been a schemer, Aro. But there will be no more compromises. The law is the law."