15

A/N: Quick, unbetaed update, only because I decided to get things moving instead of trying to perfect the narrative plot but leaving the rest of the story unwritten for months on end. Writing this story will be easier this way.

And, sweetheart, thanks for waiting. Dedicated to you with lots of love.

Reveri xx

»»-- ❈ --««

Chapter XV: Deny, Deny, Deny

ITALY. . .

Much to Caius' surprise, lively sounds of laughter and conversation could be heard across the abandoned passageways from where he stood at the perimeter of the fortress gardens. Apprehensive, he pursued the source of the commotion and led himself to the doorways of castle tower's neglected art studio. What he found darkened his gaze.

"That is not what I look like!" Altheia laughed boisterously as Marcus turned his canvas to show her his masterpiece in-the-making.

"Yes, actually, you do," Marcus insisted with a straight face, sparing another glance at the woman from where she had been postured safely on the rustic window's inner ledge. Altheia fidgeted with the flimsy skirt of her canary yellow day dress, only to resume her frozen pose at Marcus' sharp, instructing glare. Fresh blooms of pink roses and white gardenias hung from their crawling, vine-like stems, twisting along the black iron framing of the window, adorning Altheia's form with blossoms and sunlight. Small buds and green leaves littered along the mosaic glass, providing dainty color contrast amidst the looming shadow coming from within the art hall.

On Marcus' canvas, the exact artistic render of wonder, nature, and loveliness before him - except Altheia had been replaced completely with the image of a white Siberian kitten adorned with yellow ribbons.

"I am not a kitty cat," Altheia whined. "Are you sure you're the best artist in this house?"

Marcus huffed. "Please. Do you think my brothers could do any better?"

Caius' eyes nearly rolled into his head. Definitely.

After a minute of hearing paintbrushes gliding and masterfully blending hues on the painting tarp, Marcus twisted the canvas around again. This time, a stack of thick vintage books had been painted next to the kitten

With a clearing of his throat and a stoic flourish, he signed the artpiece.

"I dub this one," the vampire announced, "'The Volturi Pet.'"

Altheia quickly hopped off from where she had been posed and made her way next to the brunet, observing the final output with a thoughtful, appraising hum.

"The yellow bows do make the cat look absurdly adorable," she finally admitted under her breath. Marcus tried to suppress his mirth. "Do I get to keep this depiction of me?"

A sad, pretentious frown crept onto Marcus' mouth as he shook his head. "I'm afraid it'll cost you dearly," he said, his voice grave.

"I see." Altheia matched his expression with faux melancholy. "How much, signore?"

"Three kisses," Marcus replied without missing a beat. Altheia burst into laughter again.

The third time Altheia's lips met Marcus', Caius decided to make his presence known. With the huge studio doors swinging open, the brunette jumped away from Marcus in surprise, and his brother turned to level him with an exasperated look.

Caius ignored him.

Walking into the hall with a brow arched at Altheia, "So you've copied his Bond Sight as well? You couldn't keep your hands to yourself, I imagine." Caius bit out.