12.1

Chapter XII - I: Closer

Part I

When Carlisle stepped into the drawing room, the first thing that welcomed him was the sight of his eldest son alive. Utterly relieved, he greeted Edward with a firm embrace and looked over him twice before stepping away.

As the members of the Olympic coven filled into the room one by one, anxious silence settled with them, and the coven patriarch could not stop the thoughts plaguing his mind. How had the kings reacted to the happenings at Forks? What were the remaining options for his coven? What awaited them tonight?

"I don't know," Edward answered his thoughts with a grimace. "The kings are thinking in a language I don't understand. They're not telling the guards anything."

Carlisle sighed. He turned his attention to the rest of the room. He found Charlie and Bella sitting on a chaise lounge, and though both looked tired and sleepless, they were alive. Unhurt. Another welcome sight.

The chief met his gaze and gave a stiff nod.

It was too late to say anything now. Carlisle knew this. Whatever had happened happened. Whatever they felt in this situation was inconsequential. After all, how could he fault Charlie, when he had done it all for the lives that were lost, and the lives that could still be saved? Charlie had been unafraid to make the valiant, selfless sacrifice for his family and his home. Did Carlisle have the capacity to do the same?

For the first time in his life, Carlisle wasn't sure, and that bothered him.

Bella's eyes were unusually subdued when she regarded him. Hands folded in her lap, she looked as if she were praying. Hoping. Repentant.

"Bella," he told her softly. "This is not your fault."

"But it is, Carlisle," she answered. "None of this would have happened if I didn't—"

"Bella." Rosalie cut her off. "This is not the place."

Emmett nodded, tapping his ear twice with a finger deliberately. There are ears everywhere.

Bella dropped her gaze to her hands again. Esme sighed and wrapped a comforting arm around Alice, whose face remained inscrutable during the duration of the trip. Alice refused to divulge her visions to anyone still, and by the annoyed look on Edward's face, persisted with great effort.

A wave of calm washed over Carlisle, and he knew Jasper had unleashed the effect on his nerves. There was no way else for him to calm down in this situation. No words, no visions, and no thoughts could assure him the safety of his family. Not even his own.

Soon enough, the doors re-opened after them, and stepped in Jane and Alec. In the night, the Volturi twins chose to omit their cloaks. While Jane was clothed in a soft, white dress, Alec wore a beige, cotton tunic paired with trousers, the pallid color of their clothing a stark contrast against their scarlet gaze.

"Carlisle," Jane greeted him with a blank stare. "These days you return only to bring us sadness."

"There were times we were fonder of you," Alec supplied accusingly from her left.

With a solemn look, he acceded. "Jane, Alec. Have we been called to the court?"

"Only some," Alec replied with the slightest tilt of his head as he scanned the crowd. "The masters have specifically called for you, the seer, and Signore Swan. However, you have been allowed two more companions that are not the mindreader and Isabella Swan."

Carlisle considered his options carefully. Alice and Charlie were to go with him, but who else to take? Who would he leave with Edward and Bella? With Esme? Should things go south for any of them while separated, he definitely wouldn't want for either group to be so unprotected or disadvantaged...