12.3

"Nothing is sweeter than love, all other riches second: even honey I've spat from my mouth"
— Sappho's Lyre: Archaic Lyric and Women Poets of Ancient Greece

Chapter XII - III: Closer

Part III

When Altheia comes around in the afternoon, the rain is still in heavy downpour outside her window. She makes her way down the staircase unhurriedly and follows the flow of dulcet tones coming from the living room piano. She finds Marcus on the upholstered couch, eyes closed in restful bliss as he listened to Caius' slowed rendition of Schubert's third waltz.

Leaning on the doorframe, Altheia's heart swelled with emotion as she watched the vampire play. Her mother would approve. If there was one musician Adrienne and Luciano always agreed on, it was Schubert. And how lovely it was to hear his music in the house after so many silent years.

"You play beautifully," she tells Caius when the piece ends. "I'm relieved the piano is still in tune."

Caius promptly closes the lid and faces her blankly. "Your parents," was all he said.

Ah. She tilted her head at him and hummed. "Would you like to meet them now?"

Later, it was clear to the Campanian native that Marcus had fully anticipated the drive to lead to the local graveyard. The bondreader knew she was orphaned, after all. But not Caius. The platinum-haired monarch realized when they stepped out of the car, under the shade of their umbrellas, only to be greeted by the signage at the cemetery gates.

Mortem obire, it read. Extremum vitae spiritum edere.

"To face death, give up the ghost." Marcus translated absently. "Fascinating."

Caius shifted his gaze to the woman next to him. Altheia didn't meet his gaze. Under her breath, "I just wanted to pay my respects to them. Before I go."

Luciano and Adrienne Beneventi's resting places are beside each other at the corner lot of the cemetery, guarded by a graveyard angel holding a closed book on one hand and a sword in the other. Altheia kneeled next to their tombs and offered an arrangement of white lilies she'd bought at a nearby flowershop on the way.

"My mother's favorite were gardenias," she told Marcus. "But they didn't have it at the shop earlier."

He hummed. "I'm sure she appreciates it just the same."

Caius watched over the brunette silently as she proceeded to recite memorial prayers for the departed. The heavy rain subdued slightly as she said her invocations. Perplexed, his brows drew together when he heard her start talking to the dead.

"Papa, mamma, thank you for watching over me." She whispered. "I brought Marcus and Caius with me. Aro would have liked to be here, but he's a busy man. They'll have to do." She cleared her throat, too embarrassed to meet their gazes when she stood again. "And you don't have to worry about me anymore. I'm where I want to be." She then nudged Caius with her elbow. "Come on, say something."

He looked back at her nonchalantly. "They're dead."

Marcus pulled back a snicker. She rolled her eyes at him and turned away to leave. "Let's go back to the car then."

When Altheia was at a considerable distance away, Caius and Marcus shared a look.

"You first," Caius said.

Marcus scoffed at him. "Fine." He huffed, then directed his attention to the tombstones. "You raised your daughter well. I would have loved to meet the both of you. I'm sure she got her snark somewhere." He paused, deep in thought. "I'll make sure we come to visit after she's turned."