10

Chapter X: Moving In

Of three things I am absolutely sure. . .

First, that hidden in the far-flung town of Volterra is a clandestine sanctuary for immortals. An ancient, guarded fortress obscures itself from prying eyes and is inhabited by a coven of vampires. The coven calls themselves the Volturi, and they govern the rest of the vampire world with an iron fist. Shrouded in raw power and authority, the Volturi dedicate themselves to concealing vampire existence from human knowledge, even if it means using their talents to end the lives of their own kind.

Second, that vampires are beautiful creatures lost in time. In their existence rests a bottomless well of knowledge, but the loneliness and heartlessness evolving from the consumption of liquid, human life turned them into vicious, formidable monsters of lore. Vampires yearn for companionship in their detached unlife, and a sense of belonging in an ageless, deathless world gives them purpose.

Third, that I am a human gripped with these secrecies, and my existence amongst the Volturi poses a dangerous tread to the dark unknown. In between the confines of shelves stocked with the antique works of the masters, I often find myself wondering why I allow myself to be lured by books and stories from the likes of ancient men when what I crave for is life... living. I now fear that my fascination lies beyond what I am capable of understanding. . . .

A. A. B.

THE WEST WING, VOLTERRA CASTLE. PRESENTLY. . .

Tap... tap... tap... tap...

Altheia tossed fitfully on her bed as incessant tapping sounds pulled her into consciousness, stirring her from sleep earlier than she would have liked. She emerged from underneath the thick comforter and pushed herself upright, brows knitted and eyes squinting as they adjusted to the daylight.

... tap... tap... tap... tap...

Realizing that the taps sounded awfully close to her person, the woman only had to turn her head to the left to meet the unwanted noisemaker in her room.

What the hell?

"You." Her voice was coarse but frosty nonetheless. "Why are you in my room."

Her gaze focused on a vampire sitting languidly on her mahogany study table with a book in one hand, cross-legged, the tip of one leather shoe knocking on the side of the desk. Tap... tap... tap... tap...

The woman glowered at Caius Volturi, who seemed unbothered by his own behavior. Oddly enough, he was dressed in a navy linen shirt and a pair of beige trousers, as opposed to the three-piece suit usually donned underneath the masters' cloaks. The fact that vampires had the audacity to look like Greek gods in their casual outfits and made it look so effortless in the morning only added to her annoyance. Why did vampires keep showing up in her room at sunrise anyway? At least Sulpicia had the decency to knock...

Altheia contemplated chucking her bedside lamp at the vampire.

"Master Caius," she said through gritted teeth. "Why are you in my room."

But like the first time, it was as if she hadn't said anything, and the vampire continued to ignore her as he read. She let out a long-suffering groan before rolling back to bed. Determined to ignore the intruder for a few more hours of oblivion, Altheia pulled the blanket over her head and shut her eyes closed. As soon as she started to fall asleep...

... tap... tap... tap...

She bolted upright, eyes ablaze with annoyance. "What. Do. You. Want."