7

I cannot find the words to express my utmost gratitude to those who reviewed (and professed their love for me hahaha) the past chapter. All the hair-pulling and head banging from all the re-writing and re-drafting of Chapter VII almost had me discontinuing this story, but because I could not disappoint you all, so, here it is.

It's so difficult to manage so many characters with intricate histories. In writing AIV, believe me, I'm treading the unknown just as much as Altheia is. I'd also love to dedicate this chapter to LifeLoveLoki, who inspired me further after I read the latest developments of her latest work, Penance, another Kings/OC fic. Please give her works some love and attention.

As always, with all my love, Reveri.

Chapter VII: Ancient Men

THE WEST WING DORMITORIES, VOLTERRA CASTLE. . .

Bella Swan pulls herself awake from another nightmare, finding her right hand clutched protectively around her throat. She drops her hand to calm her racing heart and takes deep breaths before wiping away the lines of sweat framing her face.

The antique clock on her dresser tells her it is well past ten in the morning. It's Sunday, she realizes as she dresses herself for the day. Edward would have left in the night to hunt and return later in the evening. It's the first of May.

She finds her bearings easily enough after that. She hurriedly makes her way to the direction of Altheia's room and notices that the trays of food she had placed outside her door were no longer there. She knocks twice before peering inside, only to find the room unoccupied.

She makes her way down to the kitchens and sees Altheia Beneventi for the first time in three days, brooding over a cup of coffee. Their eyes meet, and Altheia offers her a weary smile, calling her over with some coffee and toast. Bella decides to postpone the interrogation as she eats her breakfast.

The minutes pass by, and it is Altheia who decides to speak first.

"Where's Edward?"

Siiip. "Hunting. Said he'll be back tonight."

"Oh. Right. Sunday." A small pause. "That's good."

Bella agrees absentmindedly, taking another sip from her coffee. She doesn't know what exactly it is she's feeling, but her chest feels tight. She munches on her sandwich, eyeing Altheia as she rose from her seat to do the dishes.

"You're okay, right?" With Altheia's back turned away from her, she finally finds the courage to ask. "I'm free today if you need help with anything..."

Altheia's shoulders tense for a second before she continues rinsing. "I'll be fine, Bella. You don't need to worry about me. Did you sleep well?"

"Oh, just the usual. Nightmares." Bella grimaces and scratches at her wrist absentmindedly.

"What a pair of damsels," Altheia says fondly as she finishes putting the dishes away. She turns to face Bella, leaning against the kitchen counter. "What are your plans for today?"

"After breakfast? Do my laundry, maybe read a book, sleep in... Endless possibilities." Bella says as she stretches her arms above her head. "You look like you have big plans today," she observed. The twenty-eight-year-old is clad in a periwinkle dress, her russet hair cascading in soft waves past her shoulders.

"Not really," the brunette laughs, playing with the straps of her dress. "I just thought it would be nice to feel like an actual person today. For a change."