9

Chapter IX: A Brewing Storm

OREGON, WASHINGTON. ONE YEAR AGO. . .

" See you next term, Biers!"

" Yeah, yeah. See you."

The freshman adjusted the strap of the messenger bag hanging from his shoulder as he exited the pub.

" Great," he ran a hand through his blond hair. "I forgot my fucking umbrella."

Riley hadn't really expected to be dragged out for drinks after his night class, but hey, they were celebrating the end of their freshman year, so he figured it couldn't possibly hurt to go out with his peers once in a while. Before he even realized, one drink turned into another and he was inebriated past midnight.

Riley huffed, bracing himself before setting off into the dimming pathways leading to the bus stop. He squinted past the heavy rain and braved through the dark streets; the ends of his jeans soaked wet with mud and rainwater as he jogged. A little woozy from the alcohol, he took some wrong turns and ended up near the docks.

Realizing his predicament, he halted his steps and shielded his face from the torrent with the back of his hand. The stores around him were closed, and he couldn't see anyone he could ask directions from. His head was pounding now, and the storm was getting harsher by the second. Before he could take off into another run, he saw a blur of orange hair in the darkness. A feminine laugh echoed in the dark.

A shiver ran up his spine. "Who's there?" he called out. Laughter again.

Not even a minute later, Riley was on the cobblestone floor, writhing from an inexplicable pain emerging from the side of his neck, his piercing screams swallowed by the hum of the thunderstorm.

" H-Help...!"

FORKS, WASHINGTON. THE DAY BELLA LEFT FOR ITALY. . .

When Charlie Swan came home from the Harry's funeral, he was expecting to see the silhouette of his daughter as she prepared dinner by the kitchen window, not a sullen-faced Jacob Black in his driveway. He shut off his car and got off, eyeing warily at the mechanical monstrosity that was Jacob's motorcycle as he marched up to his porch.

"Not that I'm not happy to see you, kid," Charlie muttered tiredly to the teen. "But if Bella's not welcoming you in the house you should probably take a hint. Alice is staying over."

"They're not in the house, Charlie," Jacob frowned at him. "But Bella did leave you a message."

"What?"

Charlie strode into the house and Jacob followed after him. He reached into his jacket and saw his phone unresponsive—battery probably died mid-shift and he was too preoccupied to check—and fumbled with the charger when he reached the living room. When the screen lit up again, the town chief cursed under his breath.

21 missed calls

8 messages

[5:12PM] Dad

[5:20PM] Dad pick up

[5:30PM] Dad. There's a family emergency with the Cullens and I need to go with Alice

[5:31PM] Edward's in trouble and we're going after him

[5:35PM] Dad? I'm calling your phone