5

To koppfi, LifeLoveLoki, leward1992, and Jessenia22 — my cherished reviewers. Thank you for always leaving encouraging words since the beginning of AIV. Sometimes I feel like I am obligated to update this story as soon as possible for you. As far as anyone is concerned, Altheia and Bella could have died in the throne room if I wanted to end it then. So everyone else reading this has you four to thank! And to everyone else who left a review at a point, even those who did anonymously, from the bottom of my heart, thank you. You all don't know what a review means to authors who are starting out.

Chapter V: Consequences

Bella emerged from the doors of Palazzo Viti, not once glancing at the brooding Edward Cullen as she rushed past him and onto the streets.

"Bella, wait—" Edward called out, barely rushing to match her pace. "Bella, stop. Could you just listen to me—"

Bella bristled, turning harshly to swat at the cold hand that pulled at her forearm. "Listen to you? Why?"

"Bella, I love you." Edward said so earnestly that it churned Bella's stomach. "I was wrong. But what I did— I thought that was best. We both knew I was a danger to you, Bella. It was just a matter of time."

"And it still is, Edward!" Bella's gaze hardened. "You listen to me. You're still a vampire. You could still kill me. And honestly! It doesn't even seem to matter whether you love me or not, because what you did... that was for you. You did that by yourself. You chose to leave for yourself."

"Bella, there's nothing I can do to take back what I did. I hurt you. But I had to give you a chance at a normal, happy lif—"

Bella hadn't even let him finish his sentence. She rolled her eyes as soon as he started moping and turned away to walk towards a secluded restaurant two streets over.

Edward could only sigh and follow after her.

"Table for two?" the waitress asked as they entered. Bella nodded.

"The one by the window looks great." She said to the waitress before turning to Edward with a blank face. "You're paying."

Edward sighed again. "Of course."

»»—- ❈ —-««

As they were sat across each other, tense silence consumed in between the clinking of metal utensils against porcelain.

This would be a complete contrast to that time in Seattle, Bella decided. Reminiscing hurt, but she could remember how she had hung on his every word, desperate for the truth of what he was. She had been so intrigued by him. Dazzled. He had been so different from everything she knew. Even without his warning, she knew Edward was dangerous the moment she saw him — and what a stupid lamb she was.

Even after knowing the truth, she chose to focus on the snippets of humanity that peeked in between. Instead, she chose to marvel at the little moments that showed more of Edward than of the predator.

It was so easy, you see.

Like how peculiar and sarcastic his sense of humor could be. It didn't take much for him to make her laugh. How he could act so young sometimes. And Edward liked to hum. He always opened the door for her. His favorite color was brown. He would argue against melodrama in the same breath that he'd claimed to deserve suffering the curse of immortality alone. Edward.

Ironic and melodramatic and romantic and loving Edward.

Him enjoying playing the piano. Him composing her a lullaby. Waking up to see him reading Brontë beside her.