1

BOOK I

Chapter I: Future Decided

THREE YEARS LATER
March 19th

As the plane sat idle on the tarmac and flight attendants strolled between aisles, securing overhead compartments and passenger seating arrangements, Alice Cullen was sure she should have booked first class tickets from New York to Florence instead. She couldn't - for the death of her - concentrate on Edward's suicide attempts, placate Bella's slow descent into madness, and the hundreds of voices surrounding her! Not to mention Carlisle, Emmett, and Jasper were probably trying to reach her while her phone was on airplane mode!

"He keeps changing his mind," Alice mutters to Bella in a low voice. "Going on a killing spree, attacking the Volturi guard, lifting a car in the middle of the plaza..."

"I can't believe him!" Bella wrung her hands around in a frustrated outburst. "Oh, like it's perfectly fine to leave Bella unprotected, so let's forget about her! But the damn moment he finds out I've 'died' he has the audacity to be the victim? Maybe don't leave if you can't be responsible about it, Edward!"

"Shh!" Alice threw a pointed look at the young woman seated beside Bella near the plane window. Bella stills, shifts awkwardly, and apologizes to the woman beside her with a sheepish look.

"It's fine." The young woman assures Bella with a small smile. "I'm pretty sure whatever the guy did, he deserves your anger."

"Anger doesn't even come close." Bella muttered, almost to herself, until she looked up to the woman again. Her lips parted in awe. "Um..."

The woman beside her, Bella had decided in her head, almost reminded her of Esme. Just like Edward's mother, she had wavy brown hair and fringes framing her face. There was a maternal air about her disposition, affectionately beautiful, in a delicate kind of way. But that's where all their similarities ended. Because this woman had a tanned complexion, as if she'd been traveling the tropics for a while, and brown eyes instead of gold. And definitely not American. She looked regal, but there was a certain softness... Maybe this was what she would look like if she became a vampire herself—

Bella almost asked but bit her tongue. Instead, she held out her hand. "Sorry, I'm really usually this awkward... My name's Bella Swan."

"I'm Altheia," The woman offered in amusement as she shook Bella's hand. Bella, noting the warm temperature of Altheia's hand, recognized the name. She heard Alice let out a small gasp beside her but ignored it.

"Aletheia? As in, Greek?"

"Yes, actually," Altheia was impressed. "Aletheia, as in, Greek for truth. My parents loved the language."

"I only know because I read too much of the classics," Bella admitted, suddenly feeling shy. She gestured to the real vampire beside her. "This is Alice Cullen."

"Uh-huh... Is Alice okay?"

Bella turned to Alice, only to find the vampire's eyes glazed over. Alice was definitely having another vision. She nudged Alice with her elbow and coughed. A quick second later, Alice's gaze refocused, and smiled stiffly at Altheia.

"You're not going to Volterra, too, are you?" Alice's voice chimed nervously. Bella's eyes narrowed.

"Small world, but yes, I actually am." Altheia affirmed as the plane surged forward. She reached for a book and a music player from the leather satchel under her seat. "Anyhow, don't mind me, Bella and Alice." Alice nodded stiffly. "I'll just be reading here."