6.2

Chapter VI - II: A Nobody in Volterra

Part II

The next day, Altheia awakens slowly. She begins to stir when morning light filters through the chiffon curtains and onto her face. She pushes herself upright and groans as strained neck muscles remind her of memories from the night before. Fangs. Blood eyes. Memories she would have rather forgotten.

I will remove your pretty little head myself.

Eyes widening, her hand shoots up to curve around her neck. Her heart begins to beat faster. With a painful swallow, she rises from the bed and heads to the mirror. Staring back at her was a woman she didn't recognize.

Altheia always knew she lived a privileged life. She was used to seeing herself happy. Content. Eager. Smiling. But the reflection staring back at her now – bloodshot eyes, cracked lips, sickly pale skin... the undeniable plum and violet striation marks on her neck...

Water starts to pool around her eyes.

She blinks away rapidly from her reflection, grabs a bath towel from the dresser, and hurries to bathe in emotional turmoil. The soap doesn't wash the feeling away. The bruising on her neck remains after. She rummages through her clothes in her undergarments and throws on a black turtleneck and jeans. She takes a leather jacket and wraps it snugly around herself for good measure. For warmth. Her hands are shaking when they find the map and even more as she leaves her room.

She almost runs to the library.

There's no time to waste.

Thirty days left.

Bella's first day is going fine, she thinks. She woke up early so had enough time for breakfast and a peaceful bath. Alice's preparedness came with an entire clothing collection waiting for her in her luggage. She arrives at Gianna's desk with minutes to spare.

It's going great so far.

"Buongiorno, Isabella. Spero che tu abbia preso l'italiano elementare a scuola," Gianna starts, handing her an Italian language book. Bella's face falls. "Dopo aver memorizzato i capitoli da uno a cinque, torna qui in modo che io possa insegnarti come programmare gli eventi nel calendario."

"She said, 'I hope you took elementary Italian in school,'" Edward's voice startles her as he appears on the couch behind her. "'After you memorize chapters one to five, come back here so I can teach you how to schedule events into the calendar.'" Edward flashes her an innocent smile.

"Qualsiasi domanda?" Gianna has a patronizing smile as she looks at Bella.

Bella grits her teeth together and turns to Edward again.

"'Any questions?" Edward translates dutifully, a slightly smug expression on his face.

"No questions, thank you." Bella manages to say through her teeth as she marches off to the library. Edward chuckles, following after her.

She gets to the library without Edwards help because I can read a map just fine, thanks. She takes a seat and notices that Altheia is already there, at the far end, immersed and preoccupied with library catalogues and inventory listings. Bella takes a moment to survey her surroundings.

The library is beautiful. Endless shelves stocked with hardbound books arranged exactly how she dreamt a vintage biblioteca would be like. Floors were polished rose and grey marble. There were staircases, antique bookstands, and journal racks arranged near the tall glass windows. The unfamiliarity of her surroundings finally dawns on her.