4

Chapter IV: The Gallery

Bella awakened the next day a few minutes past noon. Her head throbbed and her eyelids felt swollen. She groaned when the balcony curtains parted and blinded her with the onslaught of bright, midday light.

"Buongiorno, bella Bella," Bella lazily rolled over the bed and squinted her eyes at Altheia, who was drying her hair with a bath towel at the edge of her own bed. "Well technically it is afternoon, but you get my point. Also I ordered brunch."

"What time did you get up?" She grumbled as she sat up, her stomach rumbling at the mention of food. A folded set of clothes rested on the edge of her bed, consisting of dark slacks, a stylish, blue chiffon blouse, undergarments and a pair of black sandals. "Is that supposed to be mine?"

"Give or take an hour," Altheia plopped herself down beside Bella unceremoniously. "And Alice dropped those off for you ten minutes ago."

Bella nodded sleepily. "Hngh... What's the agenda today?"

"What, you don't have any other vampire boyfriends in need of saving today?" Altheia asked jokingly. Bella sent her a halfhearted glare. "Well, I saw this poster at the lobby earlier... There's a pretty interesting gallery-slash-forum happening at Palazzo Viti tonight. Us humans—" Bella snorted. "—could pass the time and go there later if you're up for it."

Bella contemplated on it for a moment, noting on the Italian woman's hopeful tone. "What's it about?

"Reclusive Renaissance paintings and alabaster pieces," Altheia responded immediately, eyes bright. Bella pretended to be disinterested until Altheia continued, "and supposedly there's going to be a discussion on Dante Alghieri's The Divine Comedy at the main hall."

"I keep forgetting that you're a professor." Bella mumbled as she stood and headed for the bathroom. "And that you genuinely like museums."

"I was a professor. I resigned," Altheia corrected. "And there's nothing wrong with liking museums, they're historically accurate and very educational," she added defensively. Bella rolled her eyes.

"Fine! I'll go with you later..." Bella closed the bathroom door and whispered to herself, "...nerd."

"Oh, and Bella?" Altheia called out indifferently.

"Mm-hmm?"

"Alice said to call your dad as soon as you can?" Bella froze, her hand on the faucet. "You can use my phone — it's on the table."

"You should have started with that!" Altheia grinned as she heard Bella pull the bathroom door open and lunge clumsily across the room in panic. "Charlie's going to kill me! Ah, shit! I stubbed my tooooeee!"

»»—- ❈ —-««

PALAZZO VITI, FIVE HOURS LATER. . .

Bella became suspicious of everything the moment the doorman took one look at her and her companion, and immediately opened the door, not bothering to collect for their entrance dues. She still thanked the doorman when he handed her a program brochure though.

"Maybe it's a sponsored gallery tonight?"

"Yes, that would explain why the twenty people in front of us paid a hundred dollars each," Bella replied sarcastically.

Altheia had shrugged it off as she started to ooh and aah at the ornate displays of the palace foyer.

Her sandals echoed as she tried to match her companion's excited pace. Altheia seemed to be in her element tonight — she had donned a knee-length form-fitting burgundy dress ruched at the sleeves. Although it was V-neck, it showed modest cleavage. Her brown hair was pinned into a classic French twist. She had also done Bella's makeup before they left their suite. Bella had blushed profusely when Altheia remarked that they could "pass off as sisters."