A day's off

Malhotra Mansion

The moon was shining bright in the sky, the stars where twinkling like those diamonds embedded in a beautiful necklace, the whistling sound of the winds, the waves of the sea together were playing as a melody of an unsung song, It was midnight and Manik was still taking a walk in the lawn area which was noticed by Dadi through the window of her room. She never goes to bed until Manik is in his room. She knew very well that Manik was disturbed after all she knows him since his birth. Covering a shawl over her night gown she got down the stairs and stood at the door of the house just watching Manik moving to and fro slowly lost in his thoughts.

Taking slow steps she reached near Manik and started walking with him while he didn't even notice her although she wasn't surprised by this infact she was worried about him because she knew what was going inside Manik. She knows that her grandson doesn't likes to stay back home. He always tries his best to be away , only she knows how difficult it is to make him stay back on Sunday's tough sometimes he manages to flee. It's not that he doesn't like his home or his family but staying at home takes him back to the memory lane of his daughter which becomes unbearable for him and he finds it hard to breathe so he tries his level best to keep distance from his house. Dadi knows it better what kind of pain he goes through. After walking with him for more than 5 minutes she kept her hand on his shoulder which made Manik realize her presence.

"Dadi aap kab aae"? Manik asked in surprise "And by the way aap ab tak jaage hue kyun ho" he exclaimed!

"Tu bhi tu jaag raha hai na ab tak" she replied with a smile "what's the matter Manik" she questioned him.

Although she knows the reason but she wants Manik to speak his heart which he doesn't.

"Han.....wo...mai...bas aise he dadi wasn't feeling sleepy so just came for a walk" he said sighing.

"Bas yehi baat hai! Ya phir... Mukti...what mukti said this morning is troubling you? she spoke haulting at her place.

Manik who had already moved forward stopped in his tracks and looked back at her with an amazed face but was quick enough to hide it from her.

"Dadi"!!! he whispered.

While she came ahead and stood in front of him.

"Tujhe kya laga... mujhe samjh nahi aaega.... that I won't understand why you're so disturbed" she said caressing his cheeks

Manik just looked around to avoid because he knew that she's understood and where this would lead to.

"Nn...nahi....nahi Dadi aisi...koi baat nahi hai....What are you saying? he stammered at his words.

Dadi took his hand and they both sat on the grass underneath their feet.

"Arre....Dadi...aap niche kyun baith rahe ho....we can sit on the couch" Manik said to her.

"Manik kabhi kabhi you should feel the nature also....or waise bhi mujhe yahan baithna boht acha lagta... Tujhe pata hai tere Dadu aur mai ghanto tak aise baith ke baat karte the khule aasman ke niche, thandi hawa me, sitting on the grass, we use to share everything with each other, Unka din kaisa tha, mera kaisa tha or boht kuch" she spoke with a smile on her face.