||16.5||

Please read the chapter prior to this id you don't remember where the story was left.

Contd...

"Then?" Isla asked, her heart was beating as fast as a hummingbird's wings.

"You had me wrapped around your little finger, alright? I didn't know that them but yeah...There was something about you that intrigued me. I knew that you'd experienced pain in your life like I did but you hadn't let it consume and destroy you. You had a painful past but you kept it hidden from the world with a charming smile on your face" Cooper answered.

"I didn't know what I was feeling for you so I kept my distance." He continued, " I noticed everything about you but from a distance. I did think about confessing my feelings for you but that plan went into the dustbin when I saw you go red when Sebastian said hi to you"

He took a deep breath as the memories flooded back and shook his head.

"I don't know how I missed that. I watched you smile, get angry, being playful so how could I have missed blushing at the sight of my best friend?" He sighed, "But still, I thought I might still have a chance until ine day Sebastian confessed to have feelings for you. So-"

"So you took a step back" Isla completed his sentence. She didn't know what to say or do as she wrapped her arms around herself helplessly.

For a moment, Copper merely stared off into space with an unreadable expression on his face before giving a brief nod.

Isla pressed the meat of her hands to her eyes to keep from crying.

"You should've told me. We would be happy now. You shou-"

" Then what? You would've accepted me and my feelings? Let's not kid ourselves,love" Cooper said softly," You loved him and nothing would've changed that even if I had confessed my feelings. I...I understand how the possibilities are making you feel but let's face it."

Isla took a few steadying deep breaths to calm her nerves as she took in his words. As much as it hurt to admit, Copper was right. She knew that her younger self wouldn't have accepted his feelings.

"Then?" Isla asked, clearing her throat," How did Sebastian come to know?"

"He told me his feelings and I just started to ignore him a little bit. He tried asking me what was wrong but I kept ignoring him so he spiked my drink" Cooper rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly as Isla gawked at him.

"I woke thinking that I must've fainted so something but Sebastian told me that he spiked my drink to know what was bugging me. And well...he got his answer" He sighed.

"Then?" Isla asked.

"He asked he what I was going to do. I told him that I knew that you had feelings for him so I wouldn't come in between you two"

"Then?" Isla asked again.

" You look cute when you do that,you know. Then, then, then" Cooper chuckled but stopped when he saw Isla's 'are-you-out-of-your-mind-look'.

"Then what?" Cooper asked.

"He...he didn't say something? Like 'you shouldn't keep your feelings hidden for my sake'? He didn't encourage you to tell me about your feelings? He didn't offer to step back?" Isla asked, though a part of her felt like she knew the answer to all the questions.

"No" Cooper answered," He didn't believe me actually. So to prove him I...I told your friend that Sebastian was planning to take you on a date on Valentines"

"What the hell!" Isla exclaimed," Why did you-"

" I just had to,Isla. Try to understand-"

"Understand what? Understand how you and Sebastian played with me,my life and my feelings without me knowing?" Isla yelled,standing up," Just what did you get by doing this,Cooper? BFF of the year award-"

" I wanted you to be happy, Isla" Cooper answered, his voice calm, though he was anything but calm.

"You don't have any idea how it felt. How it felt to see your face brighten at the sight of Sebastian." His chest heaved as he stared at her,"He loved you. You loved him. The only thing I could do was help you both get together to see you happy"

"Can you see how happy I am then? Just see how fucking happy I am,Cooper!" Isla cried & sat down of the floor.

Seeing her breakdown in front of him made Cooper want to beat himself. He knew that nothing would've changed even if he had confessed but still he felt guilty.

All he wanted was to see her happy but all he seemed to have done was hurt her.

But he had hope.

"Because I love you, Isla" He said and bent down and cautiously wrapped his arms around her small frame.

His heart threatened to leave his chest when Isla wrapped his arms around him and clutched the fabric of his shirt. She continued to cry in muffled sobs against his chest as Cooper rubbed her back soothingly.

"Just say the word,love" Cooper cupped her face in his hands and made her meet his gaze.

"Just say yes and trust me I'll make sure there won't be a hint of sadness in your life. I don't care if you love me or not. As much as I love you, I won't force my feelings on you. I...I just want you to be happy. Just say-"

"No"