Chapter Seven - Upheaval

Hope was escorted to her father's office by one of the maids

Hope was escorted to her father's office by one of the maids. Edward was shouting furiously at those around him.

"Your Majesty." the maid cleared her throat and he turned around to face her. He glanced down and saw the young Princess.

"Leave us." The maid curtsied "Hope come here."Hope walked forward to her father, who lifted her up into his arms. She noticed that her father was wearing different clothing from what he normally wore, she scowled picking at it.

"Now I must be away from you, your sisters and your mother for some time. But I will return, and lessons will resume. Practice what I have taught you, share with your sisters if it brings you comfort but always remember you are strong."

"Yes, Papa." She then took the ribbon out of her hair, handing it to her father "For you." Edward smiled and kissed her head

"I shall wear it with pride." he kissed her head one more "How about just one more lesson." Hope beamed and Edward taught her parts of his amour. Hope scowled concentrating willing herself to remember what she was being told then she was escorted back to her sisters.

--------

Elizabeth now heavily pregnant walked with Edward as he was about to leave for another confrontation.

"And Warwick has sailed, you're sure?" Elizabeth questioned cradling her belly

"I believe he will land in the North soon, may only be a matter of days." He replied as he made his way down to the courtyard "I have ordered Richard's men to meet with me outside London immediately. I am told that Margret of Anjou had planned to meet Warwick in the South. If that's the case I must act quickly. I must crush Warwick in the North, then come back to defend London."

"Told by whom?" Elizabeth questioned

"Word from George. He tells me that he will land with Warwick's invading army, but as soon as we face each other on the battlefield, he will abandon Warwrick and fight by my side." He answered

"Do you believe him?" Elizabeth wondered causing Edward to huff.

"I don't know. But God I want to, he's still my brother Elizabeth." Edward replied just as Elizabeth oldest sons Richard and Thomas came out in armour themselves. Elizabeth noticed this.

"No, no, you are not to take my boys. Edward " Elizabeth denied

"We have to fight mother." Thomas replied

"You will not dissuade them. I will keep them safe my love." Elizabeth let them go. Edward took her arms

"But i must know you are safe too. Take the girls to the Royal rooms in the tower. Prepare for the baby there. Go to the tower, Elizabeth. I will come to you as soon as I can." he told her

"When?"

"When I have won." he answered and then left her. Elizabeth returned to her mother who was watching them leave.

"Mother, George has contacted Edward. He wants to return to him."

"Oh." Jauqetta breathed a sigh of relief "Sit, that's good." Elizabeth sat down taking the weight off her feet

"In war men fight with sword, cannon. Women must find other weapons." The watched Edward and the soldiers depart.

---------

Hope and Lizzie jumped on the bed gleefully. The family had moved to the royal rooms of the tower. There was a knock on the door and the two stopped.

"Who's there?" Elizabeth questioned

"It's us mother, Thomas and Richard." Thomas replied from the other side of the door. Elizabeth stood and went over to open it greeting them in earnest. She hugged them both. Thomas Picked up Hope and Richard picked up Lizzie hugged them both.

"Where is my husband?" Elizabeth wondered

"He is safe mother." Thomas replied putting Hope down and pouring himself a drink. He shared a look with his brother Richard and Elizabeth caught it.

"Something's wrong."

"Warwick did not land in the North as the King thought, we were barely outside London, when he took us by surprise."

"The escaped to Flanders with his brother Richard and our Uncle Anthony." Richard added.

"Oh my god. What of George did he rejoin Edward?"

"We weren't ready to fight. We had to flee so quickly that there was no battle" Richard replied

"We still don't know where Georges loyalties lie" Thomas continued

"Is Edward still King?" Elizabeth questioned her sons. They said nothing and that was her answer "Then I am not Queen. We will no longer be protected." Elizabeth looked over to her daughter who were giggling and playing, unaware of what was going on.

"We are in great danger. I must send after my mother at once" Elizabeth muttered and she saw Thomas' posture changed

"What is it? What have you heard?"

"Warwick has already ordered our Lady Grandmother's arrest" Thomas answered "His men came to Grafton and took her away."

"Arrest? On what Charge?"

"Witchcraft." Thomas answered

"No." she denied "No..." Elizabeth breathed trying not to panic or let fear reach her child. She stood up

"We must pack quickly. Richard help the girls." Richard nodded.

------------

Hope watched as her mother and older brothers rushed about to pack up as many things as possible. Mary was crying wanting comfort. Hope and Lizzie were wondering what was going on.

What's going on mother?" Lizzie asked holding her twin sisters hand as the enemy was banging down the door.

"We don't have much time I'm certain of it. Richard." he was handed some essentials

"The imposter Edward has fled open the doors in the name of King Henry!" Warwick called

"Mother, he is already here?" Richard stated looking out of the window. Elizabeth handed Richard another box then took lifted up Cecily. Thomas grabbed a crying Mary. Lizzie and Hope followed behind their mother. The left the Royal rooms and Elizabeth took another look out of the window seeing that George had arrived. She continued further down and out of the tower.

"This way quickly." she told Lizzie grabbing her hand. Hope took Richards and the ran out to another exit and escaped the captures of Warwick. Elizabeth and her children headed for Westminster Abbey to seek sanctuary, which the did going into the depths of the church were she and her family could not be harmed.