Chapter Fourteen - Doubt thy Uncle

-Hope-

I walked through the castle coming back from the library when I bumped into someone

I walked through the castle coming back from the library when I bumped into someone. I fell backward landing on the floor.

"Your Highness, my apologies." I looked up.

"No the fault is mine Lady Margaret." I stood up and picked up my book "I was to busy reading. I thought you were supposed to me with my mother?" It was odd given my mother was close to having another sibling.

"I was asked to get some Lavender." I nodded

"Best not keep my mother waiting then. She is not the most kind when she is stressed." he went to leave "Oh Lady Margaret." she stopped and turned to me

"The best sprigs of lavender are the fresh ones outside in the courtyard." she curtsied

"Your Highness." I continued on my way. I noticed my Uncle Richard was back at court.

"Uncle Richard, welcome back to court." I chimed he bowed to me

"Thank you dear niece. What good do you read of this time?" he wondered

"One Papa has assigned, I have asked and all he says is one day I will be grateful. What that means I wish to find out. How does my new cousin fair?"

"Well, he is strong." he answered me but before we could speak anymore. Lizzie arrived at the end of the hall

"Hope, come on!" Lizzie called

"Okay. Goodbye Uncle." I curtsied to him

"Niece" he bowed and I ran of to join my sisters.

---------------------------

Papa was to leave again for a war in France. I heard Mother speaking with Lady Margaret that Papa was thinking of making George regent should they win the war. I sat in one of our last lessons with him before he left.

"Papa?" I started

"Yes my sweet?"

"Why do you make war with France? Have they done something wrong?" I wonder he turns to me and sighs. He lays down his quill and turned to me.

"No, but I wish to mark my reign with the glory of battle. Taking France would give me that." he replied

"But if you were to become King of France, would we live there instead of here?" I question curiously. Because if we lived there does he want to make Uncle George live and rule here.

"No, I would place your Uncle George as regent." he answered. I scowled, that didn't make any sense, either way.

"Uncle George?"

"Why do you question my thinking?"

"Because it's Uncle George. I know I'm only a girl and I'm young, not even the same age you were when you became King but even I know that Uncle George is better where you or Lady Mother can keep an eye on him. I hear the whispers when no one thinks I'm listening. Uncle George craves power, more power the he already has. Can I go play with Lizzie now?" i answered then thought to my sister

"Of course." I jump down from my chair and give a quick curtsy before running off.

-------

While Papa is away Mother ruled the Kingdom. While she sat during court events Mother had two seats out of Lizzie and I. It felt strange without Papa here. Lady Margaret was nice to my new brother Baby Richard, while Lady Anne returned to court to be with Lady Isabel. Later on in the day Lizzie and I ran through the halls to our mother.

"Lady Mother, father is back from the war!" Lizzie chimed.

"Come quickly!" I added running off and back to the courtyard. I lifted my dress to go down the stairs where father had stopped, still on his horse.

"Father!" I squealed running over. He chuckled, Mother and my siblings joined us I stepped back and took Lizzie and Cecily's hands in mine.

"Stanley open the chest." I walked over to see Lord Stanley pick up and drop a handful of gold "And for my Queen Mormsey wine." he gestured over to the takers on the crate

"I told King Louis it was your favourite." Papa dismounted and headed back inside, we followed behind him.

----------------------

Mother was being called a witch because Lady Isabel died after giving birth to a son. Uncle George had gone mad. Madder than usual, that we were all under guard until George could be apprehended and we were deemed to be safe. That mean not more trips to the market, no more lessons, everywhere we went in the castle was together and with several guards. We waited for what seemed like forever till Uncle George was apprehended. Even then as he was tried by Father which I felt tear him apart.

The tension eased somewhat when Uncle George was executed leaving my cousins Maggie and Teddy orphans. But I doubt father would ever forgive himself.