Chapter Seventeen - Mother's Protection

There was a knock to the dungeon door, mother went to see who it was and then opened it

There was a knock to the dungeon door, mother went to see who it was and then opened it.A woman carrying supplies stepped in. I wrapped my shawl around me tighter making sure I still carried the hidden dagger on me. The woman removed her hood to reveal Jane Shore, father's former mistress. I watched as the two talked

"Your grace." she curtsied "Anthony is keeping his distance to appear detached but he still petitions for you. He has convinced Richard to set a date for the Prince's coronation three days from now." she informed us.

"How do I know this is not a trap set by Richard to lure us out." Mother questioned

"Richard cast me out onto the streets the moment the King died." Jane replied

"So Anthony now provides for you?"

"I admire him greatly, that's why I risk so much coming here" Jane answered. Mother did not say anything for the moment but looked back to us.

"Cecily." our younger sister stepped forward taking the supplies from Jane. "Richard plans on crowning my son?"

"Yes. Anthony thinks you should go to the coronation, show you can work with Richard" Lizzie and I continued to listen in.

"That will never happen. I have demands of my own. That he releases my son and that Richards punished." I sigh, shaking my head, smart steps.

"Mother." I say stepping forward "Anthony has brokered a truce, offered us a way out. Please don't undermine his efforts." I pleaded with her.

"Tell him I would feel better if he removed the soldiers from the abbey. Tell Anthony I will consider it and that I'm sorry, I said things in rage." Jane nodded

"Your Grace's" she curtsied and left us.

-------------

The next day I saw the soldiers take their leave. I grinned and ran to tell mother

"The soldiers, they're gone!" I beamed taking my sisters hands

"Richards yielding, Anthony must have conveyed your request." Lizzie smiled joining me in the small amount of happiness.

"Wait. Can we trust Richard? Should we attend your brothers coronation?" Mother questioned herself

-------------------

A couple of days later, there was another knock on the door. We all look towards it wondering who could be on the other side.

"It's Buckingham, will you let me in." He was married to our Aunt Kate.

"Hide, Hide him " I grabbed Richard and hid him under a large, thick throw ad mother opened the door.I took the dagger out of my boot and slipped it into my sleeve.

"This is from Richard he handed it to me as I was leaving." We heard Buckingham "He thought his nieces and nephew might want some fresh food."

"Why are you here?" mother questioned

"He would very much like Richard to join his brother for preparations of the coronation."

"No." mother denied

"For moral support, and so he can be fitted with a handsome outfit." Buckingham added sarcastically "Would his grace like his tunic embraced in gold? Rubies or just perhaps to see his older brother" He called not seeing my brother.

"My son has a cold and cannot go anywhere." Mother lied

"Oh Richard won't be happy at all." Buckingham walked further in to see if her could see my brother. "But I will not take a sick child from his mother." He then told something to mother more our of our hearing.

"I will return tomorrow, let's hope there is a change in his condition." Buckingham and the guards left and I let out a breath of relief. Mother came back over to us as Richard came out of hiding.

"We must get you out of here tonight, you and Thomas Grey. We must find a boy that's very much like you."

"Mother, to defy Richard now, puts everyone at risk." Lizzie tried to reason with our mother.

"Don't you see, Richard can do whatever he wants whether we comply or not. He can keep dishonouring us, he can keep your brother out of sight and rule through him. I have a chance of saving my son and I must take it." mother retorted.

That night we said our goodbyes to Richard and Thomas. Then a serving boy, was brought down and he looked very similar to my brother. I lead him towards my mother, he bowed his head

"You are doing a great service for your King."

"Come, Jeffrey let's find you a bed." I guided him away and put him to sleep. I then sat with my sister and watched as our mother curse our uncle.

"Damn Richard, Duke of Gloucester. Damn his sword arm, Lord Protector. Husband to a frail wife, father to a sickly heir."