Chapter Forty Seven - Dangerous Waters

Henry had granted permission for mother to return to the palace under guard in her sick health. The two of us walked arm in arm together with my family and my sisters following closely behind. My mother and her carers rounded the corner. We stopped as did she.

"Your Grace." she wheezed curtsied

"It is my hope that your closeness to your daughters will speed your return to health." Henry spoke

"Thank you for your kindness." she then looked to Lizzie and I

"Lizzie and I will visit you later" she smiled leaving us and coughing as she went. Cardinal Morton rushed to us.

"Your Grace." he bowed and handed over a correspondence to my husband. We gather members of the council. I stood on the right side of my husband and next to my brother in law Lord Alexander

"We intercepted these at Greenwich. Signed and sealed by English Lords addressed to the Duchess of Burgundy pledging their support for the so called York Boy." Sir William picked up the correspondence to look over it.

"Well?" Henry asked

"I will make the arrests." he confirmed

"A handful of traitors does not make a rebellion." Alexander commented trying to ease the situation.

"Not yet." Henry countered "The letters, how do they name me?" Sir William hesitated 

"Go on." Sir William never spoke. I snatched the letters off him and sighed looking through them.

"They call you Henry the Pretender." I scoff "Oh charming, the also name me as a treacherous whore. Clearly they don't know the definition."

"What do the name him?" he wondered

"Prince Richard, Duke of York." Henry turned away and stared into the fire "This is rubbish. Our son Harry is the Duke of York and Ned is the Duke of Somerset. Ennoble them. Let us celebrate our strength." I stated to crush this.

"The Queen is right." Lady Margaret stated, yes you did not hear wrong, she agreed with me, which in itself was rare. "We will make Princes Harry and Edward Dukes and when Lady Pole returns from Burgundy, she will denounce the boy publicly." We waited for him to answer

"Very well, make the plans. Do not arrest the traitors yet I have a different thought of how to deal with it." he answered then dismissed everyone.

"Henry, listen to me." i take his hands in mine "All will be well, we have faced many difficulties over the years and survived, this will be no different I'm sure."

"How can you be so sure, Hope? It feels like there a threats everywhere we look more and more of those who supported me now support him."

"Haven't you notice the most of them are old and stuck in their ways?" I gave him a small smile "They are grouchier and more stuck in their ways than Morton and is saying something. Besides, there are something I just know and you'll have to deal with it." he chuckled as I eased his worries, even if it was only for a little while.

--------------------

Henry and I watched over our twin boys as they were preapared for the ceremony. Once they were dressed both were brought in by their horses then helped down. I smiled lovingly at them as Harry took the knee first. Henry took his sword.

"Prince Henry of England. I name you.Duke of York." Harry stood and Ned tok the knee as well "Prince Edward of England. I name you Duke of Somerset." They were given there small crowns, cloaks  and sceptres. I clapped along with everyone. Then it was time for the celebration feast. Edward and Arthur sat with me and Harry sat with Henry.

"Today, Prince Henry and Prince Edward were ennobled. Our road to this moment has not been a easy one. But we gather today, secure. We have three sons and our line is strong. A toast." I took my Goblet and stood up "To my sons the Duke of York and Somerset"

"The Dukes of York and Somerset!" I toasted as did everyone else. But before I could drink a voice cut us off.

"I would also like to propose a toast to the Duke of York. My son, Prince Richard who is alive and well in Burgundy..." My gaze turned hard as I looked up at my mother on the balcony.

"Remove her." Henry ordered

"and any noble here who fears God should follow him instead of this pretender, Henry Tudor. To Prince Richard, the Duke of York and rightful King of England!" she held out her arms by her side.

"You came here to destroy your own grandsons day. I renounce you as my mother." I state glaring at her, she is taken away and I sit down shedding a tear of hurt and betrayal. Once the feat was over I walked my boys to their apartments.

"Goodnight my dears. And don't forget to say your prayers." I kissed all three of them

"I will for you and Father. And My Lady The Kings Mother." Arthur promised. I touched his cheek.

"Your Grandmother will be pleased." I reply

"I will pray for yours and Aunt Lizzie's mother too, is she unwell?" he wondered

"She is mad." Harry stated "I heard Lord Strange say so." I scowled

"You must never say that again, do you understand?" I told him off "Time for bed now." I sent him off.

"Is she unwell mother?" Ned asked

"She is." I kissed both their heads "Sleep well my sweet boys." The two of them left and I turned around. I saw Henry walk past and stop I joined him

"As usual my mother seeks to torment us with her lies." I sigh "No one believes her. England loves you. We have had seven years of peace."

"And you, you love me." I grabbed his hands

"With all my heart and on my life." I vowed "You are God's King." I kissed him

"You are England's King and you are my King." I kissed him again

"I will sleep alone tonight" he says and leaves me standing there. I head to the chapel and drop to my knees.

"Please God, help me keep my family safe. Give me the strength I need against my mother and those who wish to tear down my fathers vision for me. Please help me to be strong and brave in the trials that are set out before me and absolve me of my sins." I whispered

"Sister." I jump hearing Lizzie, I look back at her teary eyed she rushes over to me and wraps me in her lovingly, sisterly embrace "You must not listen to our, mother Hope. She cares for no one but herself."

"What do I do, Lizzie?"

"You will do what you have always done. What you will always do. You will fight for those you love and bring down those who threaten them. I will be with you, always." she kissed my head and she held me tight.

------------

I attended the council meeting. I entered and took my seat between my husband  and my brother in law.

"Why is Jasper absent?" Lady Margaret questioned

"He is unwell. We are told we must not worry." Henry answered "The Duchess has revealed her plans. She hopes to win the Scottish army to his cause."

"However there is no certainty of the fact or any great likelihood. If the Gordon girl was the highest born bride they could buy for him the the rest of Europe will think even little to his identity than we do." I say

"The girl is just a minor noble. If he claim is to be believed the you'd expect he'd win at least a French Princess if not a Spanish one" Lord Stanley threw the letter back on the table

"Which goes to prove our point. Besides Scotland is to poor to start a war. The Duchess will just be taunting you as usual." I sigh

"I will discuss this with my Uncle when he is recovered." He stated standing, we copied and left.