Chapter Seventy One - Grief

As I write this chapter this chapter i begin the third episode of the Spanish Princess. I know when i started the episodes for this series I wasn't sure whether to carry it on without Hope or not. I'm gonna be honest, I am so tired I would love to just fall asleep at my computer. I don't know whether it is the tired brain talking or rational brain talking but right now I'm leaning towards finishing the Hope story after this episode. I did have the idea to maybe do one shots or something but just as I wrote this sentence I was like nah!

Anyway onto to the last 'episode' of the story.

-Hope-

The Westminster Bells tolled for the death of our son. His death has crushed a piece of me and I sat by my fire as if it was swallowing me whole. I knew by insist now that Henry had entered

"Why did God take him from us, Henry?" I ask trying to figure it out.

"He sends us another." he answers touching my stomach. "Please try and eat something before we leave." he requests then kiss my head. I dragged my arm to grab the bread I pick at it, the slip it between my lips. I managed to intake half of it but stop. Lizzie helped me dress and do my hair. Henry returned and escorted me to Westminster, the people called their mourning blessing us as we made our way there. Those who attended the service bowed and curtsied as we walked past them.

Arthur was carried and set down in front of us. Harry was kind enough to escort Catherine down to her seat with her ladies behind her, then he joined us. Sir Richard cam glancing down carrying a banner he bowed to the Prince his charge, then broke the staff in two setting it bedside him. Then the most peculiar yet comforting thing happened. Catherine ladies started wailing.

"What in heavens are they doing?" Lady Margret asks the Spanish Ambassador.

"They are keening, my Lady. This is a tradition in Spain." he answered

"This is England, not Spain. The must stop." she scolded

"No, let them wail." I order letting them continue. The voiced the pain inside me.

----------

After the funeral, I wished not to be held up in my room, but instead I walked through the halls of the palace. I saw Lady Margaret talking with Princess Catherine.

"The mule was good enough for the mother of our lord, my lady." One of Catherine's maids stated

"Is this your way of sending us a message? Are you to be a mother? Your condition is a affair of the state and under our agreement..." I decide now to cut her off

"Enough! Lady Margaret!" I bellowed. That started everyone and made my presence quite known. The bowed and curtsied as I made my way over to them. "My son is not even cold in the ground before you resume your ways of harassment. Leave my sight before i have you thrown in the tower on principal."

"You wouldn't dare?" she retorted

"Guards!" I called and they stepped forward "My Lady, the Kings Mother wishes to spend a night in the dungeons. See to it." She was escorted away.

"How do you do it your Grace?" Princess Catherine questioned "You loose your son yet you still have the will to fight."

"I follow in my grief when I am alone, but outside of my rooms I must be strong. Even when it seems impossible. Though she is right as much as it pains me to say, your status a court is in question till we know whether or not you are with child. If you are then we have a future, if not that both our hopes are lost. Come, we shall eat." We enter the hall and  I take my seat.  As I eat my eyes look at the people in attendance when my gaze fell on Maggie. She left with Ursula and I followed

"This is your fault." I scowled and she turned around in shock

"Your Grace." she curtsied

"I never would have allowed Arthur to roam free around Ludlow. If I knew there was an outbreak of the sweat." I glared at her

"I didn't 'let him' do anything. He was a man grown with a wife." she replied

"You sent your own children away to protect them."

"After Arthur fell ill." she answered

"Oh, how fortuitous." I sassed

"This is your foul harvest. Don't try to lay it at my doorstep" I grabbed her arm

"It is at your door step Margaret, you and your parents have brought nothing but grief to the throne. You are as traitors as your father, being close to the crown brings out the worst in you. My father did something right by drowning yours."

"Mother, mother calm yourself." Ned guided me away. "You will break Aunt Maggie."

"I should have not forgiven her, for her deception. Never trust her Ned she is bad news." I warn "She is as bad as he traitorous father."

"You are grieving. The loss of our brother fills you with anger that has opened old wounds. Come sit with Father." he took me back to my seat then he whispered in his fathers ear. Henry took my hand and squeezed it.

Henry talked as I climbed into bed

"Everywhere there's talk. Outside the people talk of our demise. Inside people talk of enemies, In France, mercenaries are being gathered against us as we speak. What did Maggie Pole say to you? Did she speak of her Plantagenet cousins?"

"Henry, she continues to refuse to attend my confinement. Is it my fault? Did I really cast a curse that cost me my own brother and son?" I felt as if I couldn't breath

"Hope, Hope." He held me "Breath, breath, my love. God love us, God loves us as we loved Arthur."

"Then when why was he taken? Why do i begin to see enemies everywhere why...." I started coughing

"There, there." I finally stopped

"Henry, Henry." I whimpered "Henry if i caught like that again you must send for the physician, you must. It sounds, so familiar, so terrible promise me."

"I promise my love. I promise." he whispered