Adventures in Breaking the Law

Jennifer sat in the middle of a physics class, desperately scrawling notes over her notebook as she tried to ignore the whispers surrounding her. People were curious as to who she was as all the teacher had told them was her name before he started the class. She had arrived earlier than the rest of the student body to talk with the teacher, Mr Lawton, who was shocked to discover that he had a new pupil – mainly because the office hadn't informed him, which wasn't their fault but rather Jennifer's as she hadn't technically enrolled in the school.

After putting on an incredibly fake voice and phoning up the school, Jennifer had realised that there was no legal way for her to get into the school – she didn't have any of information the school needed to enlist her. She had no home phone number, no address, no documents to prove who she was, no evidence to determine her grade, and most importantly, no money. Jennifer was nothing if not stubborn though, and so she had gone against her moral codes and decided to just turn up to classes and lie herself into society.

Surprisingly, Jennifer was glad to be back at school – which sounded stupid considering she had no obligation to go in the first place. It gave her a sense of normality, as if the last few months hadn't happened. But it couldn't be completely normal when the only people around her were total strangers.

Mr Lawton hadn't bothered to revise anything from before the holidays, firmly believing that everyone, including Jennifer, had learned and studied the course materials over the two week break. Luckily for Jennifer, gravity seemed to behave in the same manner it did ten years ago, and so she was able to relax into the atmosphere of the class, calmly twirling her pencil in her hand as Mr Lawton droned on about mass and weight.

Somehow or other, the double period went by quickly, the hands of the clock having made two full rotations in what seemed like half an hour. Maybe it was the thrill of a change of scenery, or perhaps how focused she had been on the teacher's words, but as the bell rang and pupils filed out of the class, Jennifer realised she had more important things to do.

Carefully sliding her notebook and textbook into her backpack, Jennifer turned on her heel with the intention of leaving the class, only for to end up face to face the girl that had sat across the class.

"I'm Linda," the girl stated with a smile. "It's Jennifer, right?"

Jennifer nodded in confirmation, but she didn't get to put in a word before Linda started speaking again. "It's great to have another girl in the class, I was getting a bit lonely. But that doesn't matter. Where are you from?"

"Scotland," Jennifer replied a bit timidly, slightly caught off guard by the girl's energy, and she wasn't going to get a break as it seemed.

"Oohhh, I like the accent." The two exited the class, heading down large corridors. "What have you got now?"

Jennifer's mind spun in a hundred directions, trying to locate the memories of the timetables she had caught a glimpse of over people's shoulders on her way into school that morning. "Um, Geography with Mrs. Beatson."

Linda chuckled. "You're going to have to remember your timetable a bit better than that. Mr Sanders teaches Geography this period. Mrs Beatson teaches upper math, which is last two periods."

"Right, of course." Jennifer silently cursed herself – if she was going to pull this off it was vital that she remembered what classes she was meant to be in, or more accurately, what classes she was sneaking into.

As the two pulled to a stop outside a door, Jennifer realised that she had just been following Linda down numerous paths rather than looking around and taking the place in. Luckily, Linda was willing to help her out. "This is my stop. Mr Sanders class is three down on the left. See you at lunch?"