This Is War

Surprisingly enough, not one person on the plane felt sick as they travelled at over two thousand miles per hour, and no one was suffering from the G-Force which suggested that Hank had done a good job designing and making the suits that every member of the team wore.

When they were less than half an hour away from the Cuban embargo line, a plan of action was formed – stop the missiles crossing the line, capture Shaw, go home. Unfortunately, many pieces of the plan were missing due to the fact that no one knew what they would be facing. It seemed rather obvious to the group that Shaw was the main player on his team, and that the others would protect him – meaning the X-Division (as Hank had named them) would be up against tornado dude, Azazel the teleporter and Angel. This meant that they would have to split into two teams – defence and offence – though what team you were on depended on where you were and what was happening.

Yet again Jennifer found herself growing anxious, but she pushed it as far back into her head as possible, refusing to freeze or hesitate – this was her duty, to herself. She didn't owe the world anything, nor did she owe the people that lived on it. But she owed herself for supressing her power, and that's what she was fighting for – to be the bigger person, to do what others feared, to take a step into the unknown, go against all odds, and come out the fighter she was destined to be.

Destiny could wait though, as the plane did a circle across the embargo line and the many war ships that surrounded it. Slowing the plane down to a hover Hank spoke across the comms each member of the group wore, "It looks pretty messy down there."

Jennifer turned to her right as Charles started to look into the ships with his mind. Alex, despite his cockiness, looked marginally worried, and Jennifer couldn't blame him the slightest. Sure, he was a bit of a dick to Hank at the start of the week, but right now they were a team. Jennifer gave his hand a quick squeeze of comfort before Charles informed them of the situation. "The crew of the Aral Sea are all dead. Shaw's been there."

"He's still here, somewhere." Erik wasn't leaving without Shaw, that much was obvious.

"He's set the ship on course for the embargo line."

"That ship crossed the line our boys are going to blow it up. And the war begins." Moira sat separate to the group, monitoring the scanners.

"Unless they're not on board." Charles once again placed his fingers on his temple, and a few brief seconds later a missile launched from a Russian ship, targeted towards the Aral Sea – the ship carrying the nuclear warheads. Unfortunately, the X-Jet was in the line of fire, causing it to do rolls in the air as Hank narrowly avoided the missile.

The force of the spins pushed Jennifer into her seat every few seconds, only to then let her four-way seatbelt to hold her entire weight during the gaps. Around her the world was blurred, but she was able to feel an arm reach across her torso, an attempt to keep her safe.

When Hank managed to steady the plane, the arm dropped and returned to its owner's side. Jennifer looked over to Erik who remained facing forward and gave him a small thanks to which he replied with a curt nod. He had tried to protect her despite there being hardly any danger. In any normal situation she would've felt a bit disheartened that people didn't think she could look after herself, but it was Erik - Erik who had had his family ripped from him, who had become a shell. If making sure Jennifer was safe could help him find himself again, she would let him protect her.

Hank could be heard speaking over the comms. "A little warning next time professor!," he said to Charles, referring to the last-minute dodge of a nuke.

"Sorry about that." Charles then looked over to a slightly sick looking Banshee who sat on the other side of Raven. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah." He breathed. Jennifer chuckled at his state, which earned a joking stare from him in return.