Meet The Gang

1962  -   October

Sunlight streamed through the window of the café Jennifer sat in. The smell of coffee and cakes wafted towards her nose and filled her head with relaxation. Jennifer had come to the café every Saturday for the past year, mostly alone, occasionally with friends. The café was only a street away from her house and provided a space she could study in peace. An employee would come around every half-hour or so to top up her tea.

The café wasn't new, and it most certainly hadn't been renovated since the thirties, but it was the oldness that made Jennifer feel at peace - that and the low prices. The contrasting red and blacks made it feel slightly American, but instead of tiles, there was wooden floorboards that creaked in some places, making it feel even older. It was the oldness that made Jennifer return again and again, and because of her frequent visits to the café, she knew all of the workers names and had even hung out with some of them after their shift had ended. 

Jennifer was sitting at her usual table which tended to be covered in study notes and books, yet today the table was clear with the exception of her cup and the book that was in her hands. Exams had been two weeks ago, which left Jennifer to find something else to do for a few hours, and what better to do than start reading her untouched bookshelf.

She was about two-hundred pages into the blue hardback book when the bell on the door rang, signalling to the staff that there were new customers. Only they weren't there for the food.

Jennifer didn't pay them any interest as they bee-lined for her table with a sense of authority and confidence, as she was too absorbed in her book. It wasn't particularly interesting but she kept turning the pages.

She was half a page away from finishing a chapter when the 'customers' stopped infront of her. When Jennifer didn't seem notice them, one of them cleared their throat to catch her attention. Rather than look up like they expected her to do, Jennifer raised her hand and gestured to give her a minute, not taking her eyes away from the book.

The men (Jennifer had decided that they were male based upon their throat clearing and shoes that she'd saw from under the table) looked at each other in confusion. None of the other people they had been to before had reacted like this to them - so carefree, so young. Already, before they had even speaking to the girl, they had been hushed.

Seeing no other option, the men stood in silence occasionally looking at each other until Jennifer closed the book over.

She looked up at the two men infront of her. Both were taller (and older) than her, though one was slightly shorter than the other. The shorter one looked younger. He was wearing a shirt and blazer whilst the other guy wore a leather jacket, a bit like Jennifer.

She placed a soft smile on her lips. "Hi, can I help you?"

Her innocence and unwavering confidence was definitely surprising the two men though they hid it well. It was the taller of the two men that replied. "I'm Erik Lehnsherr."

"Charles Xavier," the other added, "and yes, I believe you can."

Jennifer's smile dropped a bit to allow a frown to spread across her face. Alarms were ringing in her head, but she pushed them aside, curiosity taking over her. "How?"

The ring Jennifer wore on her right hand flew off of her ring finger and into Erik's hand. Jennifer immediately knew what these men were - mutants. Just like her. Slightly smirking, she placed her hand out for Erik to give her back the ring and turned to face Charles. "What about you?"

I'm afraid that's classified, a voice said in Jennifer's head. Charles' voice.

Most people's jaw dropped when he did that, Jennifer just gave the men bigger smirk. "I'm in."