Let's Get on the War Plane

Some people can't sleep before battle - fears would keep them awake, worries would consume rational thinking. Jennifer had never been one of those people, and she wasn't going to start now. Sleep came to her as easily as it always had, though no dreams accompanied it. It was those kinds of sleep that Jennifer hated the most, because one minute your shutting your eyes, and within the sixty seconds you were opening them again.

That didn't mean that she wasn't well rested though. In fact, Jennifer felt stronger and more alert than she had ever been, but that could've been due to the adrenaline coursing through her veins.

The group of wannabe heroes gathered in front of the lab doors early that morning, waiting for Hank to join them. However, instead of him, the group were met with a note on the door with read :

'Gone to the airbase, bring the crate marked X. Hank'

Jennifer shared a confused glace with Alex who stood beside her before Charles opened the doors and walked in. The sight the group saw was far different from what they had seen the day before. Every table was overturned, vials were smashed, chairs were broken - the room was a complete mess. It looked as though an explosion had went off.

"What the hell happened here?," Erik asked. No one had an answer, or if they did they neglected to tell the rest of the group.

In a mixture of shock and horror the group made their way towards the large metal box sitting in the centre of the room, carefully avoiding broken glass as they walked. Jennifer silently worried for Hank as she stopped at the box, was he alright? She thought he would've told someone what had happened rather than just heading off to the airbase alone.

As Charles opened the box the group peered in to see six black and yellow suits, all folded neatly. Jennifer wasn't sure yet if they were nice or the worst piece of clothing she had ever seen.

"Hank really has been busy." Erik was right, Hank had spent almost the entire week in the lab, telling everyone he was busy, and it turns out he had been. It looked as though each suit was handmade.

Alex, however, didn't share the same level of respect for Hank and was repulsed by simply looking at the suits. "Do we really have to wear these?"

"As none of us have mutated to endure extreme G-force, or being riddled by bullets, I suggest we suit up." Charles had a point - they could either look good or die. Everyone decided that dying wouldn't be a great thing to do and changed into their assigned suit without another word. They all had the same design, but each had been modified slightly to work with their mutations.

The modification to Jennifer's suit was two slits on the back which allowed her wings to slide out without having to tear the material. Surprisingly, the suit was actually comfy - it had a thermal liner in it to keep her warm but had mesh strips that allowed air flow so she wouldn't overheat. Hank had really out done himself. 

|| ~ || ~ ||

Everyone waiting for Hank at the airbase in their suits, marvelling at the modified Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird jet before them – or X-plane as Sean nicknamed it. This was the final hurdle to be on their way to saving the world. They had resisted evil, they had persisted when hope seemed lost, they had embraced who they really were – Raven was even in her natural blue form. When they got on that plane, there would be no turning back, no second guessing, they would give their all and nothing less.

Of course, Hank – who was supposed to be piloting the jet – was needed to complete their mission. The group had been waiting for a while in the hangar for Hank but he was still to show. As time crept by Jennifer gained the feeling that he wasn't going to come at all.