A Temporary Farewell

For being the highest security building on the East coast, it was incredibly easy to sneak out of the Pentagon with the mass-murdering, metal-controlling convict in tow. As it seemed, all the remaining guards in the place had headed straight for the kitchens, only to arrive at the sight of their colleagues lying unconscious on the wet floor. Meanwhile, the group of five had walked out of the front door almost as easily as they had come through it twenty minutes prior, merging in with the final crowd being evacuated from the building.

As planned, Hank had been waiting for them in the car park, twiddling the rental keys in his hand as he sent Erik a stare, moderately annoyed that the mission had succeeded. Sure, it meant that they were a step further away from global annihilation, but Hank had never once pretended to be a fan of Erik's, and he wasn't going to start now, not after he just risked having to spend the rest of his life in jail just to break him out.

Without even a word exchanged the group had bundled into the car and left the grounds as quickly as possible, and the only sign they had ever been there was the shrill screaming of the alarm. Caring as ever, Hank had made sure that Jennifer was feeling alright before allowing her to get in the car, and despite his extreme curiosity, he withheld asking what it was exactly that had happened during the otherwise uneventful tour – truthfully, he feared the answer.

It took twenty minutes for the tension to rise to the level where breathing seemed hard on the lungs, but luckily by that point, the car had reached its destination. It pulled to a stop on a strip of tarmac that ran just under a mile in either direction, and thanks to an old friend of the Xavier's, a private had been taxied out for the next stage of their task – stopping Raven, who according to the intel Jennifer had received on the journey into the Pentagon, was the catalyst of the apocalypse.

Before the tyres had even come to a stop Charles was out of the car, shortly followed by everyone else, all desperate for some air that didn't hold grudges, stares or resentment. Jennifer was the only person who wouldn't minded staying a bit longer in the vehicle, having been rather comfy resting her head against Peter for the ride. After everything that had occurred that day, especially the heart attack, she was tired, but when her pillow had rushed away to look inside the plane – claiming that it "probably had some cool gadgets or one of those candy machines limos have" – Jennifer had been forced outside to where she was now leaning against the bonnet of the car, Erik joining her a moment after.

The past nine years of mushy food and white walls had been incredibly bleak, and then out of the blue he had been pulled out of the loop of boredom and plotting, only to be shoved into a ditch of confusion. Charles was walking, he was being broken out of prison, Jennifer was alive and somehow the same age, and he was almost missing the sweet nothingness of his cell. With Hank checking the planes navigational systems, Charles getting changed out of his soaking shirt and Logan the other end of the runway lighting a well deserved cigar, now was a good a time as any to get some answers.

"What happened to you kid? We looked everywhere." His head was tilted towards Jennifer, who remained with her gaze cast to her scuffed shoes. With his voice consumed by grief and emptiness, hollow yet shaky with each word, she had no idea how to respond – so he continued. "Two weeks later Angel and Azazael were taken by project WideAwake. They were torn apart, studied under microscopes like rats, dissected in the name of science, and they were kept conscious for the entire thing. Emma accused you of selling us out in exchange for safety or a way home." He shook his head, sighing as he flutily tried to rid himself of the negative emotions that were swarming around his mind almost as strongly as the day the events occurred. "I knew she was wrong, and while I knew you didn't approve of our methods, I knew you wouldn't willingly put anyone through that type of torture. So what happened kid?"